Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed an increase in aggression among Trophs. as the tank temps increase during summer months. My tank temps have all recently gone up several degrees to about 83-84F, and all Troph. colonies(5 different) have become quite aggressive. I hate to pull isolated beat up fish, but I have had to in all the tanks, as they haven't got a hope of surviving. The breeding activity has also increased but I'd sure wish the hostility would take a rest.

G

·
I run a fan across the durface of my tank to cool it down. It makes quite a difference. You need to keep replenishing (ideally with RO water, but with hard water fish like trophs its probably OK if you change your water weekly) as levels drop.

Plentiful food and a stong current also seem to help reduce aggression.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
my tropheus go dormant (no breeding) after summer temp rise succeeds into the 80's. they also loose some coloration, in particular, my species black (bemba, bulu point, kiriza). i can't say that temp alone has ever blatantly increased aggression, but stress is stress, so i can imagine how easily it could be relevant. have you tried upping their feed opportunities slightly? perhaps their metabolism increases with temp>?? i now feed mine 3-4X daily regardless of seasonal variables.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've always fed once a day, but it may be worth increasing that. I usually artificially raise and lower the temps in the tanks to try and replicate the Lake conditions to induce breeding. Most of my Trophs are w/c and I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but they do start to breed as the temps increase. I find it inverse to you're comment Lloyd. I find their metabolism decreases as the temps go down. I'm up to two 50% water changes a week this time of year, and it seems to make a difference, but not in the aggression.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've noticed my tropheus breeding slows down in the summer time... I also get more breeding and bigger broods when the water is a bit cooler. (76-79*) When temps reach above 80* at my house all it does is piss off my fish and they started beating on each other!!!!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
if all of your colonies are reacting similarly different from norm, and assuming 'your input' to be the common denominator, i would consider experimenting with a variety of differing w.c. schedules.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All the "hot air" from parliament hill is one of those uncontrollable facets of the hobby! We don't have a/c and although the tanks are in the basement, the temps have fluctuated alot lately. As I mentioned, I have increased water changes to twice a week, and it does seem to control the temp somewhat. But the aggression continues, with two more beat up guys this morning. I am running out of hospital tanks, and have had to double up in a few tanks. Its sad to see two adult trophs so badly beat up they hardly have any fins left, but yet they still want to fight each other in a medicated 20 gal. hospital tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts