Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, am I in the right Forum Index? :wink:

Secondly, I have done some research on the African Pike (Hepsetus odoe). However I have not found the water condition requirements for this species to thrive (ie..pH,gH,kH). I took a look at the African v S.A Cichlid thread, regarding mixing. Does anyone have any experience with the Hepsetus odoe in a mixed setting? So long as he is smaller than the others and is relocated when he can fit them into his mouth, I gathered I should be fine.

Other than the water condition requirements I would just like to hear about other Aquarists experiece and expertise regarding this fish. If I am in the wrong Forum Index please advise.

Thank you and happy spawning!

BTW: This is a 150gal scenario...

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hepsetus odoe is a bubble nesting African Characin (only known bubble nesting Characin, for that matter), so I'd say this should probably be in the general discussion section. Perhaps a moderator will move it. :wink:

My understanding is that they are fairly active swimmers in the wild, forming loose schools during the non-breeding seasons. Capable of both ambush and pursuit hunting. Since they can easily reach 15" in aquaria, and over two feet in the wild, I would be hesitant to keep them in any tank less than 8 ft. in length, and even that might be too short. Found primarily in West African rivers, where the water tends to be quite soft and fairly acid. If you've ever seen the program on the Okavango Delta, there are scenes of a pair with a nest, guarding fry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.