Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok probably a dumb ? But can all African cichlids be in the same tank or do they have to be from the same, I guess lake. Like there are three diff lakes Africans come from can you have cichlids from all of them in the same tank or should you stick with jst cichlids from one area? :-?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
The simplest thing to do is stick to one lake or body of water. Some combinations are possible, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Africa is a big continent and water parameters vary.

But even if you look at just Rift Lakes with the high pH you often want to keep Malawi separate from Tanganyika, etc. Behaviors, aggression, territory needs and fry protection habits can make the fish poor tankmates.

Even within a lake some combinations are better than others in the confines of a small, glass tank. Check out the cookie cutter tanks in the Cichlid-forum Library to get some ideas. Choose a tank based on matching length and width...not gallons.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I don't plan to add any to the tank I have but setting up my 250 gal, 60w36d24t inch tank 63 1/2 total high and wondering what I could add to what I have. I have bummblebee yellow lab acei and red zebra now. Which will all be moved to the 250. So I was trying to get an idea of what I could add to the tank to add some more color than mainly yellow lol.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos Maingano? 1m:7f. With those inhabitants already I'd stick to mbuna.

And maybe a group of 5-6 Synodontis multipunctatus to take care of any hybrid fry produced by the yellow labs and red zebras?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
has any one ever put any puffer fish in there african cichlid tank. I have seen a few on like youtube and stuff but nothing repuitable. But the reason I ask is because My wife loves them and so here I am asking.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
jackskellington101982 said:
has any one ever put any puffer fish in there african cichlid tank. I have seen a few on like youtube and stuff but nothing repuitable. But the reason I ask is because My wife loves them and so here I am asking.
Do what I did, just setup a tank when she isnt home with the fish she likes (the puffers) then she will not have the heart to have you take it down. Then you can be like you have the puffers so I am gonna need a Tang, Malawi, CA and SA tank. :lol:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Also you can be like this is a great way to Hone your photography skills on moving objects!! :wink:

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Try a search in the General Aquaria forum, I think I've seen posts on puffers there. My recollection is not successful in the long term.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts