Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some red finned borleyi's from someone who was getting out of the hobby.

All the fish have done this sort of seizure looking pattern from time to time. Right after i added the new fish i saw what i believed to be ich on my tropheus. So i began the dosing procedure, raised the temperature to 83. Using ICH-X by hikari. Dosed the first 5 days per the directions along with doing about 40% water changes before adding the next days dose. Then 2 days ago they started doing this after the ich seemed to go away. They'll gulp at the surface and it seems to get worse when the water level drops while doing a water change (maybe stress). So i began doing half doses of the ich-X thinking the formaldehyde was doing it. Not sure if i should keep going with the ich treatment at half dose, if it's something else etc etc. I don't see any visible white spots but I'm afraid it might be in most of there gills and that's why they're doing this?

·
Super Moderator
1,926 Posts
Welcome to C-F!! So sorry you are having issues.

Is your temperature still at 83F? Usually it is not recommended to both raise temperature AND use medication unless it is stated on the product. I did not see any instructions for raising the temperature so I would lower it back down to 78F.

2nd, what water conditioner are you using? The Hikari website specifically states the following "NOTE: We do not recommend using any sulfur or sulfinite-based water conditioners with this product. If your normal water conditioner does not list the ingredients please verify with the maker that it does not contain these ingredients. If you notice any rotten egg smell to the product, it likely does have these ingredients and should be avoided as it could cause the product to be less effective and the dissolved oxygen levels to be negatively impacted." Just so you know, Seachem Prime does fall into this category.

I would increase surface agitation for the time being to help oxygenate the water. Either lower your water level if using power filters or direct the output of canister filters to vigorously agitate the water surface.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow thank you so much. I had no idea the prime i was using daily could affect this. Always thought it was pretty universally accepted as the best conditioner but i guess it has it's downsides too. I just added a power head at the surface to increase the surface agitation a ton. Also have my glass tops propped up on the ends for more surface area. Will turn on a fan in the room as well to increase air circulation.

In regards to temperature. The main reason was the ich and my goal was to speed up the life cycle to fix this faster. Seems like the ich is gone and all I've been doing is suffocating the fish. I'll turn the temp back down and keep and eye on them for any signs of improvements or otherwise in the next 24 hours and report back. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,926 Posts
You are welcome and I hope that is what was causing the latest issues with your fish. I would not have known about the interaction with a sulfur based product if I hadn't checked their website.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts