Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm currently cycling my 55 gallon and plan on stocking it with mbuna. I just built a UGJ system with a maxijet1200 pushing the water. Also, I have a marineland 400 HOB a aqua 30-60 and a powerhead 400. I got to looking at all that water movement and wondered, Is it to much?
So, I'm asking the pros.......is it to much? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I wouldnt think so. I have a fluval 405, eheim 2075, and 2 koralia powerheads rated at 750 and 850 gph in my 75 and they seem to love playing in the currents and it keep my sand quite clean to boot!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good luck having to much current :p , joking to some extent. These fish love fast moving water, I have my 220 turning over 16 times per hour. AS LONG as the fish aren't shoved to one side of the tank and are swimming fine then I say you are okay. Take note, if the fish seem like they are on one side at first give them a couple of hours with the jets. It takes them some time to get used to the extra current, I have had a lot of luck with the extra current, debris wont settle on the bottom of the tank, oxygen levels are much higher, and the tank looks clean!!!!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I look at the fish to try to decide how much is too much. There's no real way to say without seeing the fish and the tank. Some will tolerate current better than others. I would want to have some spots behind a rock or such where nest sites could be formed without having the eggs blown around and as resting spots. When the fish are in and settled, you may notice some fish that stay in these quiet spots and try not to come out. That would be a sign to cut back the current. My fish often get in the stream from the hose when I'm refilling but that doesn't mean they would do well staying there full time. Thrill rides are fun for us all once in a while but nobody wants to ride one full time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i think snake is right , i have a power get in my tank i turn it on a few times a day and the fish love it , they play in the get and it also cleans all the **** of the bottom and moves it round to the filter , like he said as long as your fish arnt pushed to the back of the tanks they will be fine , i try to point mine near the top so you get a nice top current , and defenlty improves oxygen levels

1 - 5 of 5 Posts