Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i know generally u wanna above 8.0 but yesterday i went to a LFS that keeps all freshwater fish in ph 7.0 including african cichlids.

i asked him dont they need high PH and he says now a days most wholesalers breed them in 7.0 PH. cuz lot of them are from asia where water PH is generally low.

is this true?

i want to keep my PH around 7.5 cuz i do wanna add some fish that like neutral PH.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The lower P.H. will eventually start to lower the fish immune system the will become more likely to get ick and other infections what lake are the fish from each lake has a diffrent P.H.
let me know and i'll help yhou the best i can *** got several tanks of cichlids

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I disagree.

The most important thing concerning PH is stability. I have kept africans in 7.0 and have had to keep sa/ca fish in 8.2.

Stability is much more important than "ideal". Ph swings caused by adding buffers, then doing water changes will cause more damage than keeping them at a stable, "close" ph.

This is much the concensus on this board and many others.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my tap water pH is 7.5 so should i try to keep my water at 7.5?

i plan to keep mostly malawi and some tanganikans. many some plecos and loaches that prefer 7.0 or below.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i use crushed coral gravel and seachem reef buffer it holds at 8.3 and the only time i have to ad nore buffer is when i do a water change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts