Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i know the minimum size tank is suppose to be 55 gallons for africans, but i've youtubed and found some nice african tanks in the 29 and 30 gallon range. And pet smart says minimum requirements 29 gallons...my tank is over filtered and rocked nicely....so befor people start going crazy on me...just wanted to put that out there.

I currently have my 29 gallon with 8 tiger barbs and one male yellow lab.
I was going to remove the barbs and put them in a 20 gallon long.

the male yellow lab is about 3 to 3 1/2 inches....
i wanted to set up a african tank with 6-8 random africans.

will my male yellow lab go nuts, and slaughter the juveniles, if i add a couple?
Are there a certain type i should add with the lab? My lfs sells mixed african cichlid juveniles..for like 4 dollars a pop. So i was thinking of getting a few. What do you guys think? all help appreciated.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
random africans, probably end up with 1 or 2 africans.

I wouldn't.

You could "try" 1 male yellow lab & 4 females - maybe even 2 males & 5-6 females (they all look alike).

I would go with Saulosi (2M+8F) in that tank if you were really set on Malawi cichlids.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
IMO, I would hesitate to take ANY advice from PetSmart or Petco. You will get 1000 times more sound advice here, and be happier with the end result.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
If you really want to use the 30" tank, there is one experienced fishkeeper who keeps a trio of yellow labs and a trio of small, peaceful peacocks like baenschi.

I have kept a 1m:3f peacocks in a 36" tank and they were too aggressive with each other in the small tank.

Success of a mix is judged after two years. For the 6-12 months your fish will get along just because they are juveniles and not competing for females or territory. The youtube tanks might have been set up five minutes before the shot...who could know?

·
Registered
68 Posts
instead of going with random african put 4 female labs in that tank i currently have 2 males 4 females in a 30 gallon hoping they breed soon the trick is t have loads of rockwork and tons of individual caves along with sight barriers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey guys update, i went to the local fish store and traded my yellow lab(he was a decent size with nice color) for two juvenile africans, one i believe is a blue hap. THe other is Peachesh color with a brown belly, like looks almost like see threw to organs, i dont know how to explain it. From the african mixed juvenile tank.

Now that im missing the dominant yellow lab male, my tank consists of 8 tiger barbs and two juveniles africans.
Can anyone identify a peach/ orange colored african with a brown stomach, almost looks like normals?

I will post pics shortly of my tank to show you guys its rocked up nicely its currently in contruction.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm still a novice, but after reading a lot on this site, my advice is to ignore anything you learn at Pet*** big box stores. Their info is not good. Also, you will have the most luck in understanding your fish and caring for them if you buy known species (avoid the 'mixed african' tank).

If you want a cichlid tank you need a strategy and some planning. Decide what you want to end up with before going to the fish store. Otherwise you will just have a tank with some fish in it.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'm lucky, I have 2 petsmart stores around here that have people that actually keep cichlids and know what they're doing.

Unfortunately, the rules for the stores tanks are completely different than for home tanks. (much to the detriment of the fish).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts