Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i have not done very many water changes on my tank and have lost 4 Africans as a result of water quality. They were breathing hard and then justed died. I think it has some thing to do with nitrite or nitrate. Now one has what looks like a burn by her gills. I have done two 50% water changes in two weeks. What do i do now she got the burn but not breathing hard and the rest seem fine.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
What are the test results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate at this time?

I've never heard of nitrite causing a visible mark...are you sure it's not columnaris? A white/gray/colorless patch?

Are they eating?

G

·
start by doing a water change every week religously.. and it sounds like your fish has some kind of bacterial infection... i would dose the tank or take the fish out and put it in a smaller tank and dose it... erythromycin or tetracycline work well...

·
Registered
55 Posts
What color are the spots on the gills? If your ammonia is super high I would say that's your problem. You can treat for anything but the fact remains that if you don't stay up on your water quality your fish "will" die prematurely.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I havent done any tests and they are eating its a white make that looks like a burn under the fin by the gill. I have done two 50% water changes and now a 25%. I got two now breathing hard. I now have a giraffe catfish now breathing hard. I think they have nitrate poisoning but am not 100% sure.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
The two things it sounds like are an actual burn (contact with the heater) or columnaris.

Nitrite poisoning could be happening, but again it does not make a mark.

I think we need tests for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to confirm. And a pic of the mark on the fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts