Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I am going to be setting up my 250 tank soon. and would like some feed back on set up of decor. I would like to have real rock in the tank. but not shure what kind of rock or where to get it. I was thinking about doing an artificial coral set up just because of the fact of the cichlids I have ar rather colorful. I thought that the coral look would look realy sharp. any help here or ideas such as pros and cons would be helpfull. I will also have a sump under the tank. so ideas for that would be awsome to. thanks to you all. I have put a few post on here and I am very happy about the responses and the speed of return. I hope to get to know you all as well as I can. And if there is any one in the Austin or Buda, Tx. area. hit me up I am new to the area and lookin to find people with this interest that I can share som experience with.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you live in TX and want real rock, I'd suggest Texas Holey Rock. I've not used it but I think that rock would really pop with the fake coral.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
There just happens to be a few folks around here with cichlids! Check in on the Hill Country Cichlid Club site and you will find a bunch. I'm kind of one of the Nothern end guys but Buda and South have a bunch.
http://www.hillcountrycichlidclub.com/

For decor, there are lots of personal choices. Mine run this way. For Africans, I like the lighter color of pool filter sand that I get at Leslie's pool supply. I'm sure there are many other supplies. I have a lot of limestone. It's cheap and handy to find laying around. If you are not really into the holey part of rocks, it is free for the picking. If you want the really primo holey rock, it may cost you!

For CA/SA I like the more natural look of natural colored sand. The pool filter sand is cleaner but less natural to my eye. I go with lots of driftwood picked up here and there. The lakes are a good place to find it free. Once it has drifted round for a few years and burned in the sun, it is good stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! Wondering what you tank finally ended up looking like. I too am considering doing artificial coral in my cichlid tank. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts