Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, what is the general feeling on putting more than one type of afras in the same tank. is it not advisable or has anyone done it. i would imagine for breeding purposes they would have to be in seperate tanks to prevent hybrids. any feedback most wecome.thanks :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wouldnt recomend this at all , unless you were doing a all man tank Imo

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
They would interbreed. There would also likely be aggression between all of the males.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I think people have done it and at least some of them have found one or both species not coloring up well.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
DJRansome said:
I think people have done it and at least some of them have found one or both species not coloring up well.
Agreed. the only reason to possibly have different Afras would be to have the different male colors... but you would be lucky to get the different males to color up so it might just be a waste of time. Just concentrate on one type.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wonder if the same holds true for an afra and a hara....

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I can tell you it's true for afra and demasoni. So I would say yes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had Afra cobue and jalo reef male in a 55g with other mbuna. They stayed away from eachother and dominated opposite ends of the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.