Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Not sure about Polit and Met.

You're color scheme is very similar in all three. All of them have blue and black, the cobue has some yellow to help him out but before he matures he might be more blue.

I'm sure there are people that have had success, but I don't think I would risk it. Afra is worth trying with one or the other choices. Maybe decide which one you like better (my vote is for the Met) and then add a different, completely new colored fish like a lab?

·
Registered
843 Posts
The pics of the polit always look awesome (I've been interested in them for awhile now); however, I've heard/read that this fish has to be the dominant/most aggressive species in the tank for it to truly look nice. I think with the Msobo, you'd be risking them looking pale. . .

You could roll the dice. The tank might be big enough that it'd be OK.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have Met. Msobo and Polit....both males have their little fights but nothing too serious.

The Cobue might not show it's true colors due to the other two aggressive species...My polit shows his colors about 50% of the time in a all-male mbuna tank. When he's not showing his colors, he still looks awsome :D :D ....it's almost like a jet black fish.

·
Registered
843 Posts
esparzar1 said:
I have Met. Msobo and Polit....both males have their little fights but nothing too serious.

The Cobue might not show it's true colors due to the other two aggressive species...My polit shows his colors about 50% of the time in a all-male mbuna tank. When he's not showing his colors, he still looks awsome :D :D ....it's almost like a jet black fish.
They are so pretty--polit. I'm jealous. Though, I think I'd want like. . .8 of them :lol: Though most of those would be female, which are kind of on the ugly side (judging by the profile pics). Hence why I've resisted so far (besides lack of space for more tanks).

·
Registered
448 Posts
toume said:
esparzar1 said:

They are so pretty--polit. I'm jealous. Though, I think I'd want like. . .8 of them :lol: Though most of those would be female, which are kind of on the ugly side (judging by the profile pics). Hence why I've resisted so far (besides lack of space for more tanks).
You could always look at just having a single male (depending on what you already have) or even a all male mbuna tank :thumb: most people say the all-male is very challenging (they're right) but I wouldn't change anything. I absolutly love the all male tank. So many different colors and attitudes and non-stop action all the time, lol.....

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have polit in my 75g and he stays colored up all the time and he is about 4th on the pecking order as far as dominance goes.I also have a couple of females in their with him so i think that might help alittle.[/list]

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Are we talking Msobo or Membe Deep? I always thought the Membe Deep resembled the polit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input! I was referring to msobo deep, not membe deep. I wanted to have a 1m:4f ratio for each species in the tank.

·
Registered
448 Posts
gmoney88 said:
Thanks for the input! I was referring to msobo deep, not membe deep. I wanted to have a 1m:4f ratio for each species in the tank.
I still don't think it's a bad idea, I just don't know if you will get the best results with the cobue. Add the cobue first, then polit, then msobo. That might help..... :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts