Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a one of these guys at a local store and picked one up. I am only familier with the gold saum, does anyone have any adults of these guys. If so could you please post pictures and give me any inside info you have on them. Right now mine is about 3inches and is not showing a lot of color yet but looks like he's got some good potentail. How do they compare to the gold saum?

Thanks,
J.D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
jgentry said:
I found a one of these guys at a local store and picked one up. I am only familier with the gold saum, does anyone have any adults of these guys. If so could you please post pictures and give me any inside info you have on them. Right now mine is about 3inches and is not showing a lot of color yet but looks like he's got some good potentail. How do they compare to the gold saum?

Thanks,
J.D.
I'm new to owning these fish but i can honestly say they are the nicest fish i've ever owned

I always thought the gold saum was the same species & the blue acara was the one that was mistaken for the gt but im not sure??

Heres a couple of pics of my pair - male 7" female 5"

A couple of observations of my fish -

They are mildly aggressive towards each other, but apparently this is also how they act when in breeding mode so maybe getting some babies soon

They are fussy eaters when it comes to dry foods but if it wiggles they dont thjink twice, all live food is welcome, i've tried hikari gold, predator & staple but it seems to be the gold that they prefer and they chew and spit out the others.

Anyways pls share pics or advice cos were all learning :thumb:




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
Aquidens Rivulatus and Aquidens sp. Gold saum are two different species . Gold saums are the fish commonly sold as Green Terror . there's been a few debates as to whether gold and silver saums should even be called GTs .
for the most part these two species can be cared for the same as any other large SA. Temperments are similar as well between the Rivulatus and Saums . Watch out as they get big cause thats when they will begin to live up to their common name.
If you have a true GT consider yourself lucky as they are not very common in the hobby anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I think mine is definately different then yours in the pictures you posted. Mine looks like the Aequidens` rivulatus picture in the species profiles. The store I got him from is pretty reliable and they had it lable with it's scientific name. I see something misslabled every now and again in there but the store owner will tell you if he's comfortable with the dealer they came froms labling of the fish. He's very honest. Mine has less orange on it's tail, but it's still young and will probably color up a lot. Mine currently is eating great. He loves color bites, mysis shrimp, blood worms, and freeze dried krill. He's really active and loves to show my green texas and pair of sal's whos boss. I'll try to get some pictures posted of him this week. I have a neighbor that has a samll true green terror (I think, the silversuam is the true one?). It's not showing a lot of color yet either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
Silver Saums are not true GTs, they are another Aeqidens sp. That's where IDing these guys gets sticky when you have three different species (two of which are considered undescribed) all called Green Terror. Silver Saums look identicle to Gold saums except for the fin edging being white rather than orange. The saums also are yellowish to blue in color depending on mood where true GTs are green . Like I said true GTs are a hard find . Post some pics , that'll help positively ID your terror.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
jgentry said:
Thanks for the responses. I think mine is definately different then yours in the pictures you posted. Mine looks like the Aequidens` rivulatus picture in the species profiles. The store I got him from is pretty reliable and they had it lable with it's scientific name. I see something misslabled every now and again in there but the store owner will tell you if he's comfortable with the dealer they came froms labling of the fish. He's very honest. Mine has less orange on it's tail, but it's still young and will probably color up a lot. Mine currently is eating great. He loves color bites, mysis shrimp, blood worms, and freeze dried krill. He's really active and loves to show my green texas and pair of sal's whos boss. I'll try to get some pictures posted of him this week. I have a neighbor that has a samll true green terror (I think, the silversuam is the true one?). It's not showing a lot of color yet either.
Is that your polite way of saying ' i have the wrong fish' and was conned by the dealer?? :-?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Joels fish said:
Silver Saums are not true GTs, they are another Aeqidens sp. That's where IDing these guys gets sticky when you have three different species (two of which are considered undescribed) all called Green Terror. Silver Saums look identicle to Gold saums except for the fin edging being white rather than orange. The saums also are yellowish to blue in color depending on mood where true GTs are green . Like I said true GTs are a hard find . Post some pics , that'll help positively ID your terror.
As were on the subject, the pics above are my fish - so could anyone please identify them??? - are they green terrors or gold saums or something else.

Thankyou :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
As were on the subject, the pics above are my fish - so could anyone please identify them??? - are they green terrors or gold saums or something else.
Fishy yours are gold saums , and nice ones too :thumb: . Like I said even though you bought yours as a GT , A. rivulatus is hardly ever seen in a LFS because they went for a long while without being imported or only rarely imported. They are starting to show up again though :thumb: . Saums on the otherhand are everywhere, and are commonly sold as A. Rivulatus even though they are not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not trying to say you were conned at all fishy, I'm just trying to figure out if I got what was said I got. Your gold saums are great looking fish. I would be thrilled if mine turned out to look like that. But I definately have a different variety then yours and I was hoping someone had some pics of adults of my variety of Aquidens but it appears to be a little rarer from what Joels Fish is saying, but I don't know. Most of what I've seen in stores are gold saums like yours, but most are not nearly as nice looking as yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's some pic of the green terror I picked up along with a picture or my male Sal and EBJD. All of them are about 3-31/2 inches[/img]




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
Jgentry you have a gold saum, possibly female but I can't say 100% from the photo. I was looking at the profiles here and , and it looks to me like the fish that is pictured as a silver saum and the one pictured as Rivulatus are the same fish. By that I mean the same individual. Also it lists silver saum as the true GT which seems to be in contradiction with the info I have read :? . Man it sure would be nice to put this whole true vs false GT thing to rest once and for all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Could you please post a pic of the differing species because whenever i google green terror or gold saum the same pictures appear.

Plus i read that they are geographical varieties of the same species???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
jgentry said:
Here's some pic of the green terror I picked up along with a picture or my male Sal and EBJD. All of them are about 3-31/2 inches[/img]




That just looks like a younger version of my female, that other fish looks stunning though - wanna swap??? :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So Fishy, your female gold saum looked like mine when it was younger? If so that would be very cool, I would be pleased if mine ends up looking anything like your 2 that you posted. At what size/age did yours really start coloring up? My other young fish are starting to show a lot of color. The electric blue jack sure is a slow grower though. It eats like a pig, but just doesn't grow much. I guess almost everything getting sold as a green terror now is a gold saum with a few silvers thrown in from time to time. I guess you can't trust fish importers/breeders to give you correct names for a lot of these fish, I still like mine though. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
Jeff Rapps had (and may still) a fish he was calling a true GT.Looked like the real deal to me, as the fish didn't look like a saum and was actually green. there is so much debate and contradictory info on GTs right now it's not even funny.
Since everyone else is posting pics of their GTs here's mine . the pics a little old but I haven't taken new ones for a while.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Joels fish said:
Jeff Rapps had (and may still) a fish he was calling a true GT.Looked like the real deal to me, as the fish didn't look like a saum and was actually green. there is so much debate and contradictory info on GTs right now it's not even funny.
Since everyone else is posting pics of their GTs here's mine . the pics a little old but I haven't taken new ones for a while.


Nice fishe - judging by the pics it appears we all have the same species - so have we been conned or are they real gt's.

There is probably that little difference in the fish (if any at all) that it really doesn't matter,

Not that i'm getting obsessed or stressed out or anything about it!!!!!!!!! :x

Right... i'm off to pick a fight with a small person :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
jgentry said:
So Fishy, your female gold saum looked like mine when it was younger? If so that would be very cool, I would be pleased if mine ends up looking anything like your 2 that you posted. At what size/age did yours really start coloring up? My other young fish are starting to show a lot of color. The electric blue jack sure is a slow grower though. It eats like a pig, but just doesn't grow much. I guess almost everything getting sold as a green terror now is a gold saum with a few silvers thrown in from time to time. I guess you can't trust fish importers/breeders to give you correct names for a lot of these fish, I still like mine though. :)
It was a guess actually - sorry - i've only had mine 1 month

But it looks very similar plus all the description on all the different hobby websites describe our varieties as GT's so i'm happy with mine.

It doesn't matter anyway cos they are lovely fish & there isn't much to beat the striking appearance of these fish.

:thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,960 Posts
This is the pic froms Rapps website: http://www.tangledupincichlids.com



The differance is with the scale pattern colors. In the 4 saums (gold, silver, red, dwarf), the center of the scale is dull, it's the outer edges that have the color. In 'Aequindens' rivulatus', that pattern is reversed with the center of the scale having the color and the outer edges being dull.

That said, all the fish posted on this thread so far appear to be Gold Saums.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info Dwarf Pike. That very helpful in determining the difference. Mine is not a Rivulatus then for sure. My neighbor does have a true Rivulatus then though. We just looked at it and it has a dull outline on it's scales and a bright center. I'll try to get some pics of it later and post them. :thumb:
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top