Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a group of young aequidens metae this week and was hoping to find some experienced keepers to share information. I was told they spawn easy, some say they are very difficult. Anything beyond the normal aequidens info I need?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Ohhh, another nice cichlid, now I'm getting jealous. Again photos please when they have settled in.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Bruce , are these WC ? or ?? If these are WC , I'll keep my eyes open for opprotunities to grab some . Lovely cichlids !

·
Registered
912 Posts
When you get them, make sure you have the right fish. Even 2 inch metae will have the orange markings on the flanks, so if you get fish that lack those, they are almost certainly misidentified.

There were some Cichlasoma amazonarum sold as Ae. metae at the Cleveland auction last November. I paid a premium price for what turned out to be a bag of one of the more common "Ports", which I could not see clearly until I got them home. I'm sure a lot of those fish went out misidentified, because amazonarum is a very prolific species. I was not the only one to question the ID, as the person who obtained the breeding pair had questions about it almost immediately as well, and inquired about it here.

I have had diadema in the past, never spawned them. Very similar fish, so if you actually get metae I would say soft water, warm temps. They are omnivores that will eat plants, though not so much if well fed with good flakes and frozen foods.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are from Rapps, so am sure they are what he says they are. Thanks for the advise on water, temps and food. Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Glad to hear that, now get them raised up and breed them so I can get some fry! :lol:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Well I dug up this old post because I've been reading about this fish and am wondering if they would mix well with earth eaters? Do they mostly stay at the bottom of the tank?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts