Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my tank is 100 cm x 45 cm x 46 cm (roughly) its 55 gallons. I currently have 4 hongi 3F/1M, 1 M cobolt blue, 1 acei (sex not sure), 4 thickskins 1 M/3F, 2 catfish- 1 syno. petricola and 1 mytus vitiatus (sp??) and one unknown female cichlid (think i was sold a hybid from LFS) and a rainbow shark, and fry... all cichlids are still juvi's under 2 inches... there is a bit of chassing in the tank but nothing to bad.. any advise on any problems that i might have in the future i.e. to do with my stocking list, numbers, size of tank etc???
thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
613 Posts
i would add more acei and cobalts maybe 3-4 acei and 2 more female cobalts. and i dunno how big the mytus gets but petricolas like to school so adding more of those is a good option. and i'd take the fry out or any stragglers that don't get eaten out.

·
Registered
561 Posts
A rainbow shark is a probably a risky choice in an african cichlid tank. They are liable to get picked on by the cichlids once they grow into their adult sizes with the aggression that comes along with that. Also the rainbow shark will become more aggressive as it becomes larger and bully fish that are smaller than it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys will take it on board, the fry are a decent size now are doing well but will be passing them on when they get bigger there not getting harrassed at all, the rainbow shark is ok at the moment but will keep an eye on him and take him back to the LFS is it becomes a problem. will get a couple more syno. petricola's when i can afford them there not cheap here. you don't think i'll be over stocking my tank if i add more acei and cobolts?

·
Registered
245 Posts
i have a rainbow shark in my tank and he holds his own against the africans just fine. How large is your shark? mine is at least a good 6in

·
Registered
245 Posts
i think as long as your shark is about the same size as your africans it would probably be ok. i'm not sure which grows faster. my shark didn't start to get really aggressive until he was larger though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts