Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my situation is I picked up a few (4 to be exact) new small african cichlids that I plan to add to another established tank once I'm sure they're disease free. I've got them in a 10 gallon quarantine tank to observe them. Today I noticed that one is showing signs of Bloat, but the other three look perfectly healthy so I don't want to overreact and clout the whole tank or anything. I've already been giving some doses of Pimafix/Melafix already as a preventative measure to possibly knock out any easy to kill bacteria they might have. So my question is on advice on what treatment approach I should take? Obviously I need to treat the one that is showing signs of Bloat, but they are already in my quarantine tank and the only other "tank" if you can even call it that is an old 1 gallon goldfish bowl from an ex.

So anyway, I've got 2 options: 1) Take the sick fish out and do my best to rig up something to keep him in for treatment. 2) Treat the whole quarantine tank with all 4 fish in it. If I choose option 1 I'd probably use clout to try to treat the sick one. If I choose option 2 I'm not sure what treatment I should use so I don't do more harm than good and end up losing all of them.

Here's the meds I've got onhand to choose from too: 1) Clout. 2) Metronidazole. 3) Jungle medicated food (which really isn't even an option since the sick one isn't eating and the pellets are really just too big for them anyway)

So that's my delimma, any help or advice is very much appreciated. Sorry for the long post, but I was trying to give all the details and available options.

·
Super Moderator
40,535 Posts
Metronidazole for the whole quarantine tank.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
Metronidazole for the whole quarantine tank.
Ok. About 150mg/10gal dosage or should I go a little higher? And how many times per day should I dose? The label says once every two days, but I don't know if that will be effective enough or not. I plan to soak some pellets in the solution to feed the ones that are still eating, but if I do that should I dose every time I feed them?

Oh and this is probably a dumb question, but does it make any sense to keep using any pimafix/melafix since I'm treating the tank with metronidazole?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
DJRansome said:
I would not mix medicines.
I totally agree. You should never dose any two meds at once. As of now either choose the PimaFix or the MelaFix. Also when my Black skirt tetra was bloated i fed it Pea's and i recommend u do the same.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aulonocara_Freak said:
DJRansome said:
I would not mix medicines.
I totally agree. You should never dose any two meds at once. As of now either choose the PimaFix or the MelaFix. Also when my Black skirt tetra was bloated i fed it Pea's and i recommend u do the same.
Well this is kinda an old topic, but I treated with metronidazole. Pimafix and Melafix wouldn't have worked for the bloat, it was just the preventative treatment I was using on quarantined fish right after I got them before I noticed the one with bloat. And just fyi Pimafix and Melafix are supposed the be used together. They were made that way to be compliments to each other. What DJRansome was talking about not mixing meds was saying to stop using the Pimafix/Melafix when I started treating with metronidazole for bloat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.