Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,349 Posts
Northfin cichlid formula is perfectly fine for Foai/Furcifer. I feed them both cichlid and veggie formula 2mm pellets.
If you want to add more protein to their diet occasionally, I would feed frozen mysis shrimp.
I only do this if I am trying to encourage spawning in my adults.

· Registered
2,349 Posts
Do you mix the formulas 50-50? The Fluval Bug Bites is probably similar to the cichlid formula, so if it's ok to mix with the veggie formula then I can just continue using it as a mix rather than having to sell it
I have it mixed equally with NLS Thera + A (1/3 ea)
I also feed O.S.I spirulina flake
I can't comment on bug bites as I have never used it, but a quick search shows that it contains twice as much fat as northfin cichlid formula and it does not contain spirulina or kelp.

· Registered
2,349 Posts
@sir_keith You mentioned earlier in the thread that Benthochromis tricoti and Cyathopharynx furcifer cannot be kept together. Could I please check why this is so? In one of the Facebook groups that I joined, I saw a smaller tank than mine keeping both species together
I tried keeping them together in 6’ 210g tank.
Bad idea. All benthos stressed out and eventually died.
the only fish I would keep benthos with again would be paracyps and a mellow sand sifter.
And I wouldn’t keep them in anything smaller than an 8’ tank.
Low light, low traffic, long tank and very peaceful tank mates for me,

· Registered
2,349 Posts
That Furcifer looks like a female to me. It could be a young male but, the first thing to look for (Imo) is an elongated anal fin which will I.D a male.
The red princess, from what I have read and heard from sellers is that they are very difficult to tell apart.
Which means they should both be nicely coloured up at some point.

· Registered
2,349 Posts
still open as to whether that is a male or female for me. I did mean anal fin, not ventrals.

Note the rounded anal fin that doesn't extend very far back on the body of the fish.

Compared to a male, who's anal fin is pointed and extends beyond the base of the tail

:

A female featherfin will never have the pointed tail that extends beyond the base of the tail (at least any that I have ever seen).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts