Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
background - mixed malawi 75g tank, peacocks (1m,2f), p.steveni juvies (3m, 1f, 1?), l.caeruleus juvies(2m,2f). also a pleco and some zebra danios for dither. lots of holey rock, fake plants and a few extra caves ( clay pots and couple pvc tubes).

one of the yellow labs is holding a right jawful! even makes her gills stand out a little. i have a newly-cycled 29g that i could move her to, but not sure this is advisable..... only fish in this tank is a male silver mollie that helps with tank cycling.

if/when i can net her, should i move her or leave her be? she's been holding for about 5 days now.
:-?

TIA,
krista

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
For me, I wait till around day 18 then move her. I strip at 21 days to be safe or you could just let her spit on her own in the 29g. I leave them in main tank longer to make sure the eggs are fertilized and she doesn't swallow them or spit them early or you end up moving her and stressing her more for no reason.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update - it's day 18 by my count, and i moved the female this evening. ( still wet up to the armpit from the catching :roll: )

she's by herself in a 29g .... anxiously waiting the next step. :popcorn:

-krista

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Make sure the tank is cycled, filtered, heated and there is a rock pile for her to feel safe spitting the fry. Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
readings are good on the tank; silver mollie & 1 zebra danio had been living here. temp is 80'.

there are some thick floating fake plants and half a clay pot. very thin/no substrate.

any changes/adds you would recommend?

long time dog breeder is excited about baby fish :p

ps. just gave her a nice chunk of holey rock

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
after watching the stripping video in the library, i got brave and stripped the little lab. they are already free-swimming so no need for my makeshift bubbler. looks like 11 fry, but i am not sure they were all out. after putting the first 'pressing' in the tank, i tried again since the female still had a bit of a pouch under her jaw. got nothing more, so i put her back in the big tank. she seems none the worse for my amateur handling.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Awesome! I usually look right into their mouth to make sure they arent holding any more and then plop em right back in the main tank, as long as they arent too thin.

Usually eating like normal the next day

:thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.