Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 55 gallon had Saulosi and White Labs. I acquired 8 unsexed juvies each. It now appears my Saulosi's are evenly divided four males,four females. Could I keep the males and add more females? Say 8. Total 4m/12f. This would bring total to 24. Don't want to overstock. I also have empty 30 gallon available that is 36" length. Future plans are to add a 55 or 75 but that may be months away.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
You could try it. Put the white labs in the 36" tank until you get the 75G.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
You could try it. Put the white labs in the 36" tank until you get the 75G.
Seems I have read that you could keep Saulosi in a 30 gallon 36" tank. If I were to keep my White Labs in my 55 and split the Saulosi between the 55 and 30 gallon (2m/8f) each tank would that work. This would allow me to not have to add tanks. I have already spare tanks for grow out purposes (2-20g,4-10g). Thanks for your replies.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
36" x what dimension? Is it a rectangle?

I would do one male or three...two are likely to target each other.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ralph493 said:
Seems I have read that you could keep Saulosi in a 30 gallon 36" tank
Saulosi can be kept in 36" tank, and I have done so successfully in a 50g, but a 30g is both shorter and narrower. I'm not going to say it can't work, but it sounds suspicious.

DJRansome said:
I would do one male or three...two are likely to target each other.
Agree with this strongly. Two is a bad number especially in a small tank.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
awanderingmoose said:
Ralph493 said:
Seems I have read that you could keep Saulosi in a 30 gallon 36" tank
Saulosi can be kept in 36" tank, and I have done so successfully in a 50g, but a 30g is both shorter and narrower. I'm not going to say it can't work, but it sounds suspicious.
Actually my 30 gallon is 36"long and 12"wide and my 55 is 48"long and 12"wide. Difference is the 30gallon is not as tall as the 55. Footprint is one less foot in length.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I could see 1:4f saulosi in the 30G. Cover the tank securely. Part of what they do is flee toward the surface at high velocity. A "normal" 36 in tank is tall and even then they may pop out and land on the floor. At least with the cover they will bounce back into the tank. As long as they don't get a concussion.

It's just for 2-3 months, right?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DJRansome said:
I could see 1:4f saulosi in the 30G. Cover the tank securely. Part of what they do is flee toward the surface at high velocity. A "normal" 36 in tank is tall and even then they may pop out and land on the floor. At least with the cover they will bounce back into the tank. As long as they don't get a concussion.

It's just for 2-3 months, right?
Here's my situation, sorry to draw it out. Presently I have four "display tanks" a 75 which now has 10 Yellow Labs and 10 White Tops, a 55 which has eight Saulosi and eight White Labs, another 55 that has two Angels and several smaller fish and lastly a 29 with Moscow guppies. Ideally would like to use my 55 with Angels for Cichlids but unfortunately Angels need a larger tank also. Thus my reason for inquiring about using an empty 30 for housing Saulosi 1m/4f. If my Angel fish are gone at some point then I would use that 55 for cichlids. Hope all this makes some sense. Thank you so much for all your advice as I'm not new to fishkeeping but am to cichlids :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts