Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this seems a bit long winded :oops: The 2 fluval plus 4 filters i'm running on my 300Litre tank (sorry not sure what it is in US Gallons :oops: ) are on their last legs. After reading all the great things you lot have built I thought I might as well have a go at a wet & dry filter.
The tank is braced the full length at the top which rule out a HOB filter or the normal over flows you can get (I think). I was thinking of using an old fluval 3 media container as the over flow I'm thinking on the lines of siliconing the cup inside to stop it floating then siliconing the outer part to the top of the tank back glass. The water would flow in via the bottom of the container, up & into the cup where the out let pipe would be. The cup is about an inch lower than the out side container so if there was a power cut only an inch of water hight would drian from the tank.
Here the media canister

Does this part sound ok ?

Because of the bracing I was thinking of using a 1" outlet & the return the same poss a bit smaller from a pond pump that I have. The filter at the min i'm thinking of using a large plastic plant pot which will be filled with scrubbies & a drilled plate on top with some filter floss. This would then drain into a plastic 40L kitchen bin where the pump & heater will go. The reason for the bin is it's the only thing which will fit into the space I have at the min.
Would be glad to hear you comments
Cheers

Neil

·
Registered
234 Posts
Would you use a u-tube on this? I don't really understand what you are doing but I like the way you think. You could make a pvc overflow with a longer over the top pipe to hurdle the euro brace. Good Luck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The canister will be mounted on the side glass of the tank with a 1" pipe coming up out of it which would be fitted to a 90' bend then a straight section of pipe to clear the bracing, then another 90' bend to bring the pipe down the back of the tank to the filter. You mention a U bend, would I need one & where should it be fitted :oops:

·
Registered
234 Posts
sweety said:
The canister will be mounted on the side glass of the tank with a 1" pipe coming up out of it which would be fitted to a 90' bend then a straight section of pipe to clear the bracing, then another 90' bend to bring the pipe down the back of the tank to the filter. You mention a U bend, would I need one & where should it be fitted :oops:
That would be your u-tube. Post some pics when you make this so we can see. I think it will work just fine.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I shall :) got to sort out a pump now as the pond pump i've got won't pump the water high enough :( also got to work out what size pump i'll need

1 - 5 of 5 Posts