Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please advise me as to when I should add catfish to my new tank? The tank has been running for approximately 4 weeks now and has 3 Acei and 4 Saulosi as the current inhabitants, they all seem happy and healthy, the next batch of fish will be added tomorrow, (5/26/08.) There is a piece of wood in the tank that has some type of fungal growth which the fish seem to like to eat and enjoy, my only concern is that there seems to be a lot of this growth and it looks a little unsightly, will adding catfish help? If so when is the right time to do this? Thanks in advance for any advice :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for such a quick response, it is very much appreciated! :) The tank is a 48" bow front, 24" high, 18" at greatest depth, approx 77 US gallons. The proposed list for addition tomorrow is a s follows...

1 Acei (to add to existing group)
5 Red Estherae
5 Yellow Labs
5 Cobalt Zebras
5 Mainganos

Do you think this is too many? :-?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I don't think it is too many fish, but it might be problematic if you wish to save fry.

The cobalts and red zebras will easily hybridize, as will the Labs and Red Zebras.

I would add in 4-6 Synodontis multipunctatus.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice :) , I was looking at about 4 Synodonits Multipunctatus as I heard they are probably one of the best tank mates for Mbunas. The only remaining queries would be when is the right time to introduce them and do they need any particular supplement to their diet?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hi teddy, i have 3 S multi in my 5ft tank with yellow labs, acei, peacocks, moori and venustus. I feed them all tetraDorami large cichlid pellats and Hikari Cichlid Excel. The S multi have more than doubled from 2 inches in 7 months and have always swam to the surface to compete with the other fish for food.
S multis are a nice catfish that seem to swim around in the open more often than a lot of catfish. Most of the Multis in Ireland and the UK are Checzk hybrids but the are a third the price of the pure versions and often impossible to tell apart. I had to choose between 2 inch fish for E22.50 or 3 inch pure for E69.99. I went with the cheaper guys :D the only difference i could see are the hybrids are ever so slightly darker.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Yellow thanks for your reply, seems weird, but very nice, to have a response from someone closer to home :)
I am hoping to add about 4 Synodontis MP's they are about £18.00 each over here. This is a very new hobby for me and I want to try and avoid mistakes, particularly expensive ones!
It would be nice to meet you in the chat room if ever you get the opportunity :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again Fogelhund, that does sound like really good advice I will try it and see what happens, all I want is a happy healthy tank and fingers crossed it's going the right way! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yesterday I added the final lot of fish into my new tank I have have 32 Mbunas, I also added a pair of Synodontis Multipunctatus. However my LFS did advise this might not be a good idea as they don't cope too well with a sudden rise in Nitrate levels, is this true? (my husband was very insistant that they be put in with the fish as soon as possible.) Thanks in advance for any replies :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Im pretty sure the Synodontis Multipunctatus wud do great in your tank....I need some of those myself.....i have a catfish but its a Pictus Catfish and he does great with the africans! Great bottom feeder and fry eater lol....

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Synodontis multipunctats are fantastic fish. Very much out and about. Try to find two more, though. You have a nice large tank and they do well in groups.

I do feed mine, though, as I don't feel enough of the food that the cichlids miss gets to the bottom. I feed them NLS sinking wafters from the end of a long tong. They go right for the tong!

What does the LFS mean by "sudden rise in nitrate levels"? Why would you have a sudden rise? Isn't your tank fully cycled? If your nitrate levels rise, just do a water change . . .

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
My Synodontis Multipunctatus are very sensitive to water quality. So maybe OP is anticipating a mini-cycle when he adds the last batch of fish.

Just watch if one of them keeps coming to the surface.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts