Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im new to this site and keeping cichlids etc, i have at the moment a female demasoni holding for 3 days now i was gonna ask the same question as above but think ill now leave her to natures coarse. last month i had mt yellow lab holding and i stripped her at 19 days i kept the fry in a breeder tank within the main tank and the other fish some how ate them???? so this time *** bought a little 20 litre tank with sponge filter, heater and put some gravel from my main tank in there with a few little rocks for her so i hope to keep the fry this time.
im just wondering how long she will hold for with her being left to do it herself???
any feed back will be great as im new to this. :-?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Usually around 21 to 35 days is what is recorded. Really depends on your fish and how safe she feels it is for the fry I think. Some are early and some are late.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ill just keep my eye on her mate, how often should i do a little water change? i was gonna do it once a week, the tank is only 20 litre so if i just do 3 litre change would this be ok??
she is the only 1 in this little tank too.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Thats what i would do. As long as Nitrates dont get high that would be fine. But I would wait to put her in the little tank till about day 15 or so. Have heard that if separated for too long she may not be accepted back the rest of her tank mates since she will lose her "rank" in the tank. (If that makes sense) I have never pulled one right away so I cant speak from experience on that but rather what I was told.

What I did was left them in the main tank til about day 18 then pull her and strip her of fry. Put fry in a breeder net in small tank and put the mom right back in the main tank afterwards. Just did this with my Peacock last week and she was fine and eating again the next day like nothing ever happened. If you don't want to strip her then just pull her on day 18 and put her in small tank till she spits then replace her once she has.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ooooops, *** been miss informed then!! i was told to remove her straight away to smaller tank for safety and de-stress her from the other males wanting a piece of the action.
*** already moved her mate im a bid worried now, im going to add more yellow labs to my main tank when she has spit, could i or should i add her then so she doesnt get too botherd???

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
If she has been moved already then ya I would just add her back with the labs you plan on getting and re-arrange your tank to break up the territories so they all have to start the pecking order over again so to speak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.