Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I have a 38 gallon, heavily sheltered tank with a male firemouth, a female krib and a bunch of zebra danios as dithers.

The kribensis is getting bullied and I think its time to find her a new home, so I'd like to know if any of you guys have suggestions for new tank mates for my firemouth if any at all. I have been reading a lot of conflicting information and would really appreciate any tips. I have considered a rainbow cichlid, another firemouth or maybe even keeping the krib and pairing her with a male.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,864 Posts
I dunno.... yes, the four or five Firemouth (FM) thing could work out initially, esp. with an all-male group. But if there's a mix, and if/when a spawning FM pair emerges from that mixed group? Oh man... that's gonna be some seriously bad news for everyone else in that smaller 38G in with them! :oops:
-
My first choice would be to keep the male FM in there as the lone Cichlid. Add a school of 5 to 7 Tetras in there with him and the Danios, and he should be fine (Don't be too upset if you notice later on that your little Danios start 'disappearing' on you at night, at some point).
Or like you said, you could pull the male FM out and then try a group of Kribensis in there. When a pair emerges, you might have to pull the non-paired Kribs out, (Maybe not though, with those calmer Kribs in a 38G sized tank).
Good luck with it, and let us know what you decide. Send pics! A 'heavily sheltered' tank sounds pretty cool! 8)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice! I'll probably stick with keeping him as the lone cichlid for now, but I might consider adding more FMs in the future.

If instead of adding more firemouths, I added multiple species from the same region like, say a convict + a rainbow cichlid (just for an example) could this work out just as well, or would having multiple species change the dynamic for the worse?

Thanks again :)

·
Premium Member
4,864 Posts
For your smaller-sized 38 gallon tank, I still believe a single FM would be a good stocking choice. I'm just not sure that adding any more Cichlids in with the FM now would be a good idea.
The problem is - he's established dominance now over the entire aquarium. He'll most likely defend HIS territory from all invaders!
But, if you're determined to add more Cichlids into this tank - what to do?
I guess you could try a version of my (fictional) recommendation for mixing the T. meeki (FM) and Cryptoheros nanoluteus together. In this case you could try 'flooding' the aquarium with 4 - 5 of the much more peaceful and calm C. nanoluteus in this tank and see how it works out. But, adding a single male Convict Cichlid could possibly work out with this guy as well.... Regardless what you attempt, you will need to first temporarily place the FM in a quarantine tank.
Then,
- Rearrange all of the items in the tank. Make plenty of caves and hiding spots, and place structured items so they extend just about all the way to the surface, (breaking up sight lines).
- If you're going with the group 'Flood' idea, introduce all of the new occupants you want to add to the tank first.
- If you're gonna try things with another male FM, Convict or Rainbow Cichlid? Place both the FM and new male Cichlid back into the tank at the same time. Do it at night, after lights out! And, it will help if the new addition is close in size to the FM, to help avoid him getting immediately, excessively harassed and bullied.
-
Then hope for some luck! :oops:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.