Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A person at my job is setting up a 90 gallon aquarium. He was intent on making it an African setup, but I talked him into convict cichlids. I thought it would be either or, but now he wants to mix them. He is not new to fishkeeping. He told me he plans on stocking it like so:

1 kenyi, 1 aurastus, 3 or more convicts, and some dithers. I told him that eventually, the aurastus will own the tank and destroy every tankmate possible. Is this sound advice? He's pretty reasonable, and responds well to logic.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The first two are both bad news. Another thing to consider is speed. Convicts aren't very fast compared to mbuna so unless the convicts are bigger or dominant they will be mercilessly picked on to injury or death.

You can go further into water parameters, environment, etc. But IME the convicts aren't fast enough to escape the inevitable. You should direct him to our library or print some of it off for him to read. There is always a chance of success but it would be very small and very short lived in this case I'm afraid.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
Yes, it should be either/ or.

Why not Mbuna, He will need more than a dozen to make a community.

Why Convicts? Sounds like a 90 is too big for a pair.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Convicts are dime a dozen, get something cool for the tank. Vics or Tangs would be my route

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before I could say anything, he said that now he's making it strictly African. I did offer to give him some convict fry as feeders though. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts