Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been asked to assist in overhauling this tank which has some unusual measurements. The tank size is 7.5ft x 1ft x 1ft.
The tank has been left for a year as a family member has sadly passed away and no one has taken care of it. As it’s a long tank I was planning to clean it first then change substrate to sand, put two new better internal filters, remove all the decor and run rock all the way along it. I’m thinking Mbuna may work? Due to the length but worried about the height and depth being only 1ft, overall volume is 200 litres.

Any advice on on stocking would be very helpful. I would really love to brighten up this tank for them with some colourful mbuna if possible.
Here’s a photo of it now.

Furniture Couch Blue Purple Picture frame

·
Registered
242 Posts
Wow what a beautiful setup for mbuna. What do you think the level of upkeep will be able to be? Water change frequency, monitoring for aggressive, etc?

·
Super Moderator
2,020 Posts
What do the owners want, what kind of fish and more importantly what is their level of experience keeping fish since they haven't done anything with it since the family member passed away?

Do you know what fish were kept in it before?

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
Mbuna will be OK with the height, but as always...completely cover the top.

Reactions: Deeda

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so the owners love the look of mbuna and the rocks that come with them. Once it’s all set up they have said they are happy to pay me to look after the tank for them, they have very very little experience as the father would never let anyone touch it. It’s been in the family for 20 years but would love it looking nice again.
They are happy to go with my advice and I knew right away the length would suit mbuna. I would test weekly and change water as needed. I have experience with mbuna and Africans albeit only over the last few years but learnt a lot and get so much help in here.

I know everyone asks but what would your advice be on stocking levels and species? And yes it has a lid DJ.

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
What Synodontis?

I would probably do Chindongo saulosi and white labs or albino socolofi. Maybe some acei.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts