Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this guy at the LFS yesterday for my 75 all male African tank. The folks at the shop couldn't tell me what it was (a customer brought it in) and I've never seen anything like it before. The price was right, he was 15.99 and I had $10 off gift card so I picked him up for cheap. So what have I got here?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just went through the profile for Protomelas spilonotus (Mara Rocks) and this guy does look identical. I thought I had bought an adult. He's between 5-6 inches and very beefy but the profile says he'll reach 10" :roll: . Thank you Solgood!

G

·
could also be otopharynx lithobates (zimbabwe rocks) aka aristo yellow blaze... mine looks just like that.. they look alot like the sulpher head haps thou too.. so not sure which it is

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Protomelas spilonotus (Mara Rocks) is a deeper body fish than your pictures depict. Perhaps you could post some side profile pictures?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a few side view shots of him, maybe these will help.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate every ones input very much. mike715m, I'm familiar with O. lithobate Z rock males. I have a young Z rock male in the tank with him. They both share the yellow blaze and blue face but that's where the similarities end I'm afraid. I'm certain this is a different fish. I'm inclined to agree with solgood on the I.D. unless Fogelhund believes differently?

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
What kind of markings does he show when frightened or in the morning?

Protomelas spilonotus (Mara Rocks) is the closest guess, but I'm not sure if he is pure. The head shape makes me wonder.

·
Registered
104 Posts
solgood said:
Looks like he is a Protomelas spilonotus (Mara Rocks).
I agree, he has all the right markings. They have a bunch of huge ones at the Atlanta aquarium. Excellent find for $16.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts