Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 40g long mostly stocked and will be adding my last batch of fish after the mardi gras holiday.
As of now I have,
6 yellow labs
5 socolofi
1 bristlenose

I plan to order 5-6 cyno either jalo reef, cobue, or yellow blaze, I'm not sure which ones I like the most. They all see relatively close.

I'm running two sun sun 302 filters.
bottom tray two of the course blue pads, the filter floss,
Middle tray 1liter of matrix
top tray 50 bioballs with some type of sponge in the middle of the ball, filter floss

Is this enough filtration or should I add a hob as well. Biggest fish is barely over 2"

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
What is the total GPH of your filters?

That's a lot of fish for a 40G...it is a shorter tank than the 55G 48x12. It could work, but know you are pushing it.

Cobue tend to be more timid than Jalo Reef...maybe a better fit for the smaller tank.

IDK what a yellow blaze is.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
What is the total GPH of your filters?

That's a lot of fish for a 40G...it is a shorter tank than the 55G 48x12. It could work, but know you are pushing it.

Cobue tend to be more timid than Jalo Reef...maybe a better fit for the smaller tank.

IDK what a yellow blaze is.
Yes it's a 40 long, 48x12x16 I plan to narrow down the stock to 15 or less adults, just have all juveniles now. The yellow blaze in nhkita bay I believe. The filters are 264gph each.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Two filters at 264 is overkill, but one is a little low.

15 adults is still a lot for a 40G. I might consider swapping out the socolofi for the Cynotilapia.

15 might work though if you want to try it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
Two filters at 264 is overkill, but one is a little low.

15 adults is still a lot for a 40G. I might consider swapping out the socolofi for the Cynotilapia.

15 might work though if you want to try it.
I will probably knock the stocking down to 12 adults once everyone starts getting a decent size
Right now I have 6 yellow labs, 5 socolofi, and 5 cyno jalo reef. The larges being maybe 2.5" smallest just shy of an 1"

I'm thinking I'll take the smallest or sub male from each group out once they get to that point,
Would it be possible to add some syno's or would that be too much?

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
I'd remove the socolofi and add a trio of lucipinis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts