Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`ve always added these with each water change but as prices increase I`ve started to wonder how necessary they may be.

I keep Tangs... Multies, Ocellatus, and Tropheus.

My tap water requires raising the PH a bit but not sure if I need anything else.

What are thoughts from you guys regarding adding chemicals like this to your tanks?

·
Super Moderator
40,392 Posts
I don't like to add anything and am lucky my pH is close enough to desirable parameters.

If you cannot test and identify a deficit...you don't have any way of knowing if additives are needed.

·
Registered
498 Posts
kentc64 said:
...What are thoughts from you guys regarding adding chemicals like this to your tanks?...
It's unlikely that they will do any harm to Tanganyikans, but whether they do any good depends on the starting composition of your water. I do think that these 'trace element' formulations are overhyped, and unless you're starting out with really pure water, they are likely unnecessary.

That said, if your current regimen is working, why change it? A 500ml bottle of trace costs $10 and treats 2000 gallons. Unless you have a seriously large fish room, I'm not seeing that eliminating Trace saves you enough money to worry about it.

Good luck. :fish:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I add a bit of the seachem Rift Lake buffer but I add very little and only a few times a year. My water is moderately hard out of the tap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts