Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to add substrate to exisitng tank
I've seen this semi-black substrate and really like it, would like to slowy start adding...
thanks

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yes, you can slowly add it. What you don't want to do is dump an inch on top of what you already have, cutting off oxygen to your bacteria bed and killing it

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I just moved sand from a tank to another with no problem. My method was to scoop it into a shallow bowl and then put the bowl on the bottom of the new tank. By tipping the bowl slowly so that the sand runs out, you can watch to see how much is getting into the water to cloud it. If too fast, back off and pour it out slower. To make the two sands match, I did stir it into the old. You may want to do a rinse on the new to clean it, of course.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Also watch out for the filter if sand gets in it it'll do damage

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I would shut off the filter when you dump it in.

Make sure it's all settled before turning the filter back on - and then watch to make sure no sand goes up the intake.

If you have sufficient bio-media in your filter, I wouldn't worry too much about the bacteria in the substrate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
jlm86 said:
Is it possible to add substrate to exisitng tank
Yes, but take heed, shellies215 has already stated what to be cautious about. Also mix the substrates together slowly, if that's your intention, over a 5 to 10 day period. Stir up no more than 20% of the sand at a time & you won't have any changes in water clarity or nitrogen cycle spikes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts