Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning on adding some plants to my tank, and im wondering what kind of plants would do well with mbunas

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I think you will need to give more info to get the best answers. Plants will need to fit your water PH and lighting as well as the fish type. Some mbuna will be better for plants than others.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I've found them to be all equally bad. :lol:

Java fern seems to have performed best for me.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
I had read that corkscrew Val would work well... 3 days after planting, all that is left is the stub barely sticking out of the sand.

It was like all you can eat @ Ruby Tuesday salad bar! :D

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I have some junk plants, so I decided to play games with the fish to see what they liked and who liked what. I moved a plant pot from an angelfish tank to the African tank. A long stringy plant about 18" tall that had lots of snails and snail eggs on it was placed in a 75 gallon of 5 Hap moori about three inches, 10 Lab "Hongi" at various size from fry to 3", 20-25 Hap ahli from 1' to 2 ", 10 3/4 " yellow labs and assorted bottom feeders.
While I went to get the camera, the fish got down to checking the new plant. Everybody came out to look it over.

First in were the little yellow labs. Second was the Hap moori. First the moori hunted down the snails and then liked the leaves, too. The ahli showed some interest but not much eating. The Hongi just wanted everybody to move away from their rocks! .

Most went back to their rocks and other duties but the labs and moori stayed for salad bar.

I'll post up some pictures in a few days to see how the plants holds up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts