Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I’m new here and relatively new to owning African cichlids, but i really want to learn more about them! Right now, I have a 55 gal tank with 1 kenyi, 1 demasoni, 1 johanni, 1 yellow lab, 1 cichlid that i’m not sure what he is, 1 red tail black shark, and 3 synodontis catfish. My tank has about 7-8 caves and also rocks with plenty of holes, and then some fake plant decor. My water levels are great, i have a heater for them, and my filter is working great. I was looking to add in some more cichlids but wanted to see if i could get a good idea of who would and wouldn’t be good tank mates for what i’ve got. I was looking at 2 elongatus, the chewre and the ruarwe, and also potentially a yellow/ white tail acei and a labidochromis yellow fin mbamba. I’ve been told so many different things about compatibility from fish stores, other people, and from looking things up on the internet. I’ve been told it’ll be 100% fine, i’ve also been told that my fish tank will end in many deaths… So I thought that the cichlid forum was the place to go!

Everyone in my tank right now is very small, my tank boss is only about 2”, and they all get along fine. So based off what i’ve got in my tank now, and what i was looking to add, would it work out?

Also, if someone could help me find out what kind of cichlid this guy is, that would be great! He seems to change colors whenever i see him as well as sometimes he has stripes, other times he does not! So pretty though😄
Plant Green Purple Blue Leaf
Water Fin Underwater Organism Fish

He’s the one in front in the second picture, then there’s a picture of him when he’s got his stripes!

Thank you all so much in advance!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I'm actually here browsing the forums to learn how to manage that exact cichlid! I believe, and take this with a gain of salt, that this particular cichlid is a Pseudotropheus Crabro also known as the Bumble Bee Cichlid part of the Mbuna Lake Malawi group. It could be something different as they are hard to identify as juveniles and look similar. I have in fact seen that same fish in an Assorted African Pseudo tank when I purchased my Red Zebra. I inherited this from a friend because he had problems with its aggression, and oh darn he wasn't lying. I had it in a 75 gallon with 14 other cichlids and as small as he is he wanted the middle of the tank all to himself pushing all other fish to the edges. Needless to say I had to put him in the quarantine time-out tank for a few weeks, alone. I was wondering if yours was a bit over aggressive or not. I will defiantly be back to see if someone answers your tank mates question because I'm kind of at the same cross roads with this little fishy as well.

Take care and may your fish live long and healthy.. How to Care for Bumblebee Cichlids? - AquariumNexus

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
Really not sure if it is a pure fish, might be a hybrid. Which pic is the more "relaxed" color? The yellow- blue color, or the brownish barring?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts