Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I have a 110 gallon hap tank (dimensions 4 ft by 2 ft by 2 ft) that's been set up for about 3 years now. Through years of attrition, population ratios have changed and I've noticed a rise in aggression. Current residents are 1 large male c. borlyei and 3 females (he only seems to spawn with 1), 1 large vc-10, 3 sunburst peacocks (1m, 2f), 1 s. fryeri male, 1 c. rhoadesii female(3 in), 2 c. moori (1- 5 in. and 1- 2 in.), and 6 german red peacocks (1 old male, 1 young male offspring, and 4 females). Total of 18 fish. Lately the male c. borlyei and the larger c. moori are reaking havoc. All of a sudden the moori seems to hate the male sunburst peacock and constantly runs him into the corners to the point that he hides vertically behind a heater. The c. borlyei always wants to breed and though he is a beautiful fish, his territory seems to be the entire tank.. I selected these haps because the were supposed to be more peaceful. I've lost 1 fish to damage already...The tank used to be peaceful, but it had some more female borlyei and 2 other fish that have died of natural causes through the years. I have 4 juvenile taiwan reefs and 3 z. obliquidens in quarantine that I want to introduce. I'm thinking it's not going to go well ....Several questions
1. Do you think the aggression is higher because of not enough fish?

2. Do I just happen to have 2 nasty fish that I should just remove?

3. I'm thinking of removing the 2 offending fish before i introduce any new fish and putting them in a 20 long temporarily, is this reasonable, or is it impossible to reintroduce dominant fish later?

4. Could I remove the females and would that lower aggression?
The tank is filtered with an ac 500, a penguin 350, and 1 powerhead and sponge filter combo.
Any ideas would be helpful, and I'm open to any possibility as far as removing fish, I really want to establish the z. obliquidens as they would be my first victorian basin cichlids....

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
1) Possibly. Have the dolphin, sunburst peacock, and borleyi been in the tank the entire time? The reason I ask is because sometimes it can take quite awhile to get the tank heirarchy ironed out.

2) Maybe. Borleyi are aggressive as far as everything I've heard about them. Never kept them, so I can't speak firsthand. I've heard dolphins can get a get nippy, but again, never kept them yet. Have to done any recent additions or changed the tank around? Sometimes something as simple as adding one fish can change the whole dynamic of the tank and cause "peaceful" fish to go a bit nutty.

3) Odds are when you reintroduce them, they'll just go back to their ways. Also, being in the 20g long will stress them out and who knows what they'll do to one another in that tank. I've tried taking out overly aggressive males and putting them back about a dozen times and it's never worked out. Had to get rid of him or the entire group.

4) It might. Hard to say. You take his females, he might just want to claim the females from a peacock. He sounds like he could run the risk of being hyperdominant and terrorize everyone.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would say the answer is to remove all females, all males that closely resemble each other or are of the same species, and then add more males of different species.

You really can't trust any spawns from the tank as it is, anyway, so what's the point in keeping the females? :thumb:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the borlyei and the dolphin have been tankmates for almost the whole time. the sunburst peacocks have been in the tank for about 2 years. The most recent addition is the s. fryeri male and ironically no one every bothers him. that's what's so puzzling about this, and why I'm thinking I might get rid of the borlyei group and perhaps the offending moori. of course I've done this in other tanks and had other fish become hyper-dominant.....

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Anytime you add or remove fish, you can upset the "balance" of the tank. I do it all the time! I'll take one out for being bad and another fish will step up that makes the original bad fish look like an angel.

You've got males without females, though, and can't really trust any spawn to be pure the way things are, so I just think your best bet would be pull all the females and go all male.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you buy large adult males, or do you buy groups of juveniles and grow them out in other tanks. There is a lfs that sells some beautiful male peacocks but he only sells them as pairs 1m, 1f and they're all a blanket price of $59.99 a pair which seems steep to me...They are outstanding quality however, but I don't really know hte point of selling a non-pairbonding fish as a pair?????? I"ve always wanted an all male peacock tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts