Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lost 3 fish. My kandeense (unknown reason), C. Trewavse (HITH), and Oto Tetrastigma (failure to thrive). I picked up a Turkis and was wondering if i ahould pick up 1 or 2 more to add back in. I have read that it is tough to integrate 1 new fish into a cichlid tank. Any thoughts or ideas and the best way?

·
Super Moderator
40,516 Posts
Definitely add three or more at a time. Also quarantine them for 3 weeks in a separate tank.

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
Yes, adding multiple fish will spread the attention around instead of concentrating on one scared newcomer.

Adding sexually mature fish can be tricky, sometimes no problem, sometimes you have a dead fish by the next day. Adding a mature male is seen by the resident fish as a challenge to the pecking order, so it can be instant confrontation. Adding a mature female can result in the males harassing the newcomer, the are excited to see a new female. Juveniles can be easier, since kids are ignored beyond token chasing, as long as they don't fit into the mouth easily.

Watch out for the common "bloat" disease, you may not notice but fish stop eating and become lethargic then die.

·
Super Moderator
40,516 Posts
Depends on what other haps/peacocks you have. Why did the Oto fail to thrive? Why did the kandeense die?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the kandeense was attacked and the oto had a parasite. He had clamped fins and was quite emaciated. I had him.in qt for months. Treated him with metro and prazipro. Fed a mix of nls, medicated flakes, and mysis shrimp.

·
Super Moderator
40,516 Posts
I'm going to guess the other haps and peacocks were maybe more aggressive than the oto and kandeense who are or can be quite timid.

Depending on what other species you have, you might do better avoiding the timid guys.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Protomelas Taeniolatus Red Empress
A. Suartgranti Chiwindi Neon Blue Dorsal
A. Maulona Bi color 500
A. Koningsi Mbenji
A. stuartgranti Cobue Regal Blue
A. Suartgranti Ngara Flametail Peacock
A. Maylandi Sulfur Head
A. sp. German Red Peacock
Dragon Blood
A. Baenschi Sunshine Peacock

·
Super Moderator
40,516 Posts
How big is the tank? I usually like 72" for empress. It would impact the recommendations for additions.

·
Super Moderator
40,516 Posts
That is one of your more aggressive fish, along with the dragon blood. So if you plan to get rid of them, now might be a good time.

Turkis, Acei, Yellow Lab.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts