Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With yellow labs and acei, do you think i'm better off with red zebras, blue haps, or some peacocks. Specifically regarding temperament and best colors possible. again this is for a 55 gallon. Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Haps might be too large, and only the male is colorful.

Red zebras crossbreed with labs, so do you want to save fry?

Peacocks have a decent chance of working with labs and acei and fit the criteria for colorful if you get three males, different species and none that look alike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I added two peacocks to my mbuna tank yesterday. So far, the dominant lab ignores them. Time will tell. I also have P. socolofi (juveniles), Rustys, and acei. All quiet on the western front with them all (except the juv. socolofi don't get much food...yet

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
See how they do after the socolofi mature in 6-12 months. Compatibility among juveniles is different than compatibility among spawning adults.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no intention of wanting or keeping red zebra/yellow lab offspring.
I'm really just looking for the most color possible for species that get along.
I already have labs and I like acei, will probably get those soon.
Just a bit uncertain where to go from there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah, I'll be watching. I have a fully running and seasoned 55 gallon standing by, along with a twenty. Room to move the labs (55) and any others who get beat up on!

I'm hoping that, by the time the socolofi mature, they'll be used to the dominant lab being boss. (ask me in six months!)

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
JStroke said:
I have no intention of wanting or keeping red zebra/yellow lab offspring.
I'm really just looking for the most color possible for species that get along.
I already have labs and I like acei, will probably get those soon.
Just a bit uncertain where to go from there.
Acei get pretty large when full grown, some will recommend upgrading them to a 75 at that point.
Ps. Socolofi make a nice, albeit more rambunctious alternative, these I would add 6-7 and remove extra males as they mature. Cynotilapia fit the bill for a smaller colorful third addition or Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusties), or you could go 2 species with 4-5 labs and 12-15 demasoni, they're a popular combination. Take a look through the cookie cutter as well if you haven't already.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes. I plan to keep my dominant male socolofi and his harem, as well as the dominant male acei and harem in the 125. The labs (2M 4F) are destined for the 55, probably with the Iodotropheus spengerae (since they're so small). We'll see. It's a luxury to have seasoned tanks "standing by" in case of need.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey, Jstroke, is it just a show tank plan, or a breeding tank? I think there's a lot of info on the forum about (male only) displays.

[and I assume your forum nom de plume means you're into canoeing?]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a show tank.
I'll look into socolofi a bit more. I really like the look of them.

If I'm not interested in breeding, is it bad to add 3 red zebras and 1 socolofi to the existing 3 labs and 3 acei?

and yes Novice, I'm canoeing every chance I get.
Glad to hear you know what a j stroke is!!! :)

Thanks again everyone!!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
JStroke said:
I'll look into socolofi a bit more. I really like the look of them.

If I'm not interested in breeding, is it bad to add 3 red zebras and 1 socolofi to the existing 3 labs and 3 acei?
I would fight the urge to add a single socolofi - either go for the estherae or the socolofi for three species and call it a day.

A single socolofi male will try to breed with the females of the other species and a female socolofi would most certainly breed with any of the other three males.

Consider some Synodontis lucipinnis to help take care of unwanted fry!

kevin

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have 2 male (oops) socolofi and they show no interest in any females in my tank.

Their body shape/color is a bit different

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Glaneon said:
Their body shape/color is a bit different
Not arguing with you, but Yellow labs & Red Zebras also have very different body shapes and slightly different colours - doesn't stop them.

Likewise, a single demasoni (whose aggression is normally conspecific) I used to keep would beat the [email protected] out of my acei.

So my advice is just based on what could likely happen.

kevin

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
A male who wants to spawn will go after any available mate. An aggressive male like socolofi will often succeed!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You really think a Yellow Lab & RZ have different body shapes?

I'd say they're pretty darn close.

The Soc's are considerably longer bodies (not "tall") - vs other mbuna.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Glaneon said:
You really think a Yellow Lab & RZ have different body shapes?
At the risk of going waaaay off topic, in my opinion (which counts for nothing) I think most mbuna have similar body shapes, but greatly different skull and jaw shapes - which is where I see the most obvious difference between Labidochromis & Metriaclima.

But more importantly, I don't think any of the shape differences or lack of differences matter in small spaces such as aquariums - a fish that feels compelled to breed will try to breed.

kevin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.