Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about have our new 110 gal fully cycled. Intend to purchase the following stock list, as small as possible, from LFS. Who should I add 1st to make sure thing are safe and then for the rest of these guys, should I let any of them establish territory before adding the next? Finally, what is the best diet to keep everyone the healthiest and getting along?

2) Oscars
1) Clown Knife (should this guy be allowed some squatters rights before adding a pair of Oscars?)
Possibly one other interesting or colorful Cichlid... any suggestions?
1) Shovel Nose Cat
1 or 2 Plecos

I would also like to add a cleaning crew to bunk these guys... some pretty messy. Would a pair of Earth Eaters do ok? I do have sand substrate. If so, maybe the E Eaters should go in 1st to establish a firm ground with the impending possible aggressive roommates. How good at cleaning are these guys really? Any suggestions for others?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
The shovelnose cat and plecos should be cleaning crew enough. I hope your aware that the shovelnose is not a suitable long term inhabitant of your tank. And the clown knife my need a larger tank down the road.

I wouldn't want to add any other fish to your stocklist unless you rethink your combination of fish. You can easily google profiles for each of your fish to read up on suitable long term tank sizes, aquascapes, living conditions, dietry requirements and possibly suitable tankmates.

For example, here's a good profile for Oscars. http://fish.mongabay.com/other_samerican_cichlids.htm

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DeadFishFloating said:
The shovelnose cat and plecos should be cleaning crew enough. I hope your aware that the shovelnose is not a suitable long term inhabitant of your tank. And the clown knife my need a larger tank down the road.

I wouldn't want to add any other fish to your stocklist unless you rethink your combination of fish. You can easily google profiles for each of your fish to read up on suitable long term tank sizes, aquascapes, living conditions, dietry requirements and possibly suitable tankmates.

For example, here's a good profile for Oscars. http://fish.mongabay.com/other_samerican_cichlids.htm
I appreciate your input. You have made me realize I need to take a closer look at who we're gonna put in the tank. We do know we want Oscars. I wasn't aware the shovel nose might be an issue. Thanx for hipping me to fish profiles... I will do some research.

I've read in the past that plecos might leave as much a mess as they clean. Also read that Earth Eaters are really good cleaners. Can anyone confirm any of this? I'm sure not all Earth Eaters are created alike and there seems to be many. I wonder which would be good tank mates for Oscars.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I'm just not sure about adding true geos in with two Oscars. Especially if the oscars are male and female and pair up.

Any clean up fish are going to produce waste. Personally I would stick with a large pleco or two.

What are the dimensions of your tank, as 110 gal could anything from 4 foot to six foot.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
A singlegreen Terror may work with the O's. And/or a pair of Australoheros Red Ceibal. Australoheros stay relatively small but are fiesty.

Geos and O's sometimes dont mix well.

I am assuming it is at least a 5' tank.

...Bill

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tank is 72" x 18".

What about a Jurupari? I've read mixed reviews about these cohabbing with Os but check this out...
http://www.cichlids.com/uploads/tx_usercichlids/user_pics/2981/2981____file_01_picture_136.jpg

And part of my dream team! ... not sure how big this tank is; http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b...?action=view&current=OscarJurTSN.jpg&newest=1

Nice fish to add some color to the tank but my real agenda here is a cleaning crew. I've read that Geos don't produce a large bio load so if they are picking up more than they're letting out, that just might make them one of the more efficient cleaners. Of course I don't have any 1st hand experience yet... can anyone comment on their cleaning abilities?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tank is 72" x 18".

What about a Jurupari? I've read mixed reviews about these cohabbing with Os but check this out...
http://www.cichlids.com/uploads/tx_usercichlids/user_pics/2981/2981____file_01_picture_136.jpg

Nice fish to add some color to the tank but my real agenda here is a cleaning crew. I've read that Geos don't produce a large bio load so if they are picking up more than they're letting out, that just might make them one of the more efficient cleaners. Of course I don't have any 1st hand experience yet... can anyone comment on their cleaning abilities?

And part of my dream team! ... not sure how big this tank is;

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
It is possible it can work. You just never know. Sometimes O's are fine is the other fish are not a threat.

...Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts