Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I've been a general Community fish keeper for about 7 or 8 years now and have added a new tank that I want to put Mbuna in. My question is a simple one :lol: when adding the Mbuna is it better to add all of one variant, ie Yellow Labs then all of a 2nd second variant ie Acei and so on. Or is it better to add a few of each together so they are used to the sight of the different fish. I haven't completely decided on my stocking yet so I am aware the answer may depend on what stocking I go for.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
Ideal is to put all the fish of all species in at the same time. This works if you cycle with ammonia.

There is no advantage to have the fish get used to the sight of different species.

If you have to stock over time...I would add 1m:4f of each species (for peaceful species) at once so the male does not kill the females if there are too few females of his species.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I'll be taking established media from my community tank once i add the fish but i didn't want to overload the bacteria straight away so was planning adding around 6 fish every week to 10 days until the tank was stocked. They will be juveniles at around 1-1.5 inches i think. Looks like i can pick the best fish no matter which of my selected species they are.

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
If you are building bacteria between additions I would wait a month between.

Generally they say add the most timid species first. That would be the labs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I've added the first of my stocking, 6 x Yellow Labs. I've transferred over the media from my old tank (I had Fluval 306 with 2 trays of biological media, so i've swapped one with the 307 on the new tank), how long would you recommend before the first water change? I have an API testing kit, so is it test it and see or wait a certain number of days?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm sure the DJ will also hopefully respond soon, for my tanks when adding new fish I test daily and do water changes as needed until ammonia/nitrite is 0. When the cycle is complete at least 50% weekly water changes, I do 75% every 5-7 days in my tanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
Mostly agree? The minimum PWC would be 50% weekly. Agree with testing daily when you increase the bioload. If you get ammonia or nitrite readings you might have to do daily or even 2X daily PWC.

This is true for both tanks since you have removed half the bacteria from the established tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts