Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting a Malawi African Cichlid tank but, I don't know what are some good one's to add with Yellow labs. Anyone able to give me a clue on what I should add in with them to get very colorful fish in the tank.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Depends on a couple of things:

1. Tank size (dimensions are more important than gallons)?
2. Intended stocking "type"? Meaning: breeding groups of mbuna? Yellow labs and male peacocks/haps? Etc.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's going to be a 125g (72 x 18 x 20) Mbuna, I don't want Peacocks/Haps but, I forget the type I wanted

·
Registered
625 Posts
Pseudotropheus demasoni is often kept with labs. Another good member here keeps them with Maingano.

You can pretty much keep them with any Mbuna.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I recommend looking through the articles in the forum library here for things to learn about African cichlids before choosing. There are items like a chart of how aggresive you might expect each type to be. I would look that over and choose from some of the ones less likely to give you trouble. A good way to get some good experience rather than buying trouble right off the bat.

Good recommendations here:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/species_for_beginners.php
More good info here:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/haps_vs_mbuna.php

Pick a type and species or two before choosing a color. Choosing by color can lead to a group of killers!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So only the one's that are Herbavors can go together and then only Carnivors can go together? I am still a little lost with this, I was hopping it wasn't just on species.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You can mix Herbevoures and Carnivours, you just have to use a compatible food. Use foods that have a mix of protein and plant matter. NLS, Omega 1, are popular, there are others. Main problems of mixing Cichlids is different aggresion levels and possibility of cross breeding. (No two types of the same speices)

Perhaps read the cookie cutter section of the library as mentioned above.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" Can't mix with anything but Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" correct or you could possibly have cross breeding?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Often things are overstated. There are "tendancies" which sometimes get thought of as rules. For cross breeding I find it works out like this. If there are males and females and each of several types has enough females of his type, he hits on them. If there are no females of his type, he may hit on other types. Think of it as a bar. If there are girls there of your favorite type, you go for them. If not, you may try for anything there! Simgle male fish act like single male people. If there are fish there of a different type but look a lot like his type, he is more likely to go for it. Simple when you think about it?

For food, I just try to feed a general food and vary it with other types. Flakes, pellets, and algea tablets. If I have algea eating types only I avoid feeding too much protein to avoid causing Malawi bloat.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If you don't plan on raising fry, crossbreeding is not such a huge issue. And I agree with PfunMo, it may not necessarily happen, even if you do have fish of the same genus. I successfully had Cobalt blue zebras and Red zebras in the same tank and they did not crossbreed. I did have proper M/F ratios of both.

With a 125g tank, you could easily have 6-8 types of Mbuna, depending on size/aggression. Look in the profiles section and see which fish you like. The main thing to keep in mind is that similar colors may cause more aggression, and it's usually best to just keep one type of barred fish (for example, don't mix Ps. Demasoni with Ps. Saulosi, because they both have blue barred varieties.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.