Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my problem - I am down to 3 cyp ( non jumbo ) Utina I think - looks like 1 male and 2 females. Started with 6 - 1 jumped out and kicked the bucket - others were fine for awhile but now it looks like I am down to the last 3. Not sure what happened to the last 2.

I want to add more ( I know I should have started off with more but my first time with cyps - did not know better ) - only cyps I find available anywhere around me are very small ( mine are 2 inches plus and thick ) compared to the juvenilles available here ( Central FL )

afraid of adding smaller ones to my existing 3 - only to have them hassled to death by the dom male - any ideas ? can this be done ?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I've not tried this with cyprichromis, but I've found with others that it's actually easier to add juvies because the adults don't see them as threats or competition for females, etc. But having said that, if you're planning to keep any fry you need to be absolutely sure that what you're adding is the exact same variant as what you have. Just because someone gives them a name doesn't necessarily make it so. Too easy to hybidize cyprichromis. A better option might be to move the 3 adults on and start over with a group of the juvies.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prov - you are probably right - I have a breeder in Central FL that seems like a very fair guy - may ask him to trade them in. Would not mind getting some nigrippinis instead if he is short on cyps at the moment.

Wish I could find a hobbyist locally that had some tangs for trade - have the cyps and bunch of Julie Transcriptus juvies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts