Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm setting up a tank for Malawi mbuna. My water parameters are low out of the tap (ph7, <2 kh/gh) so I will be using some Seachem products to raise it up. My question is once I have the tank stable and dosed correctly do I need to add the buffers to the bin I have my water change water in or just do the water change and add the buffer into the tank after the water change?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
If you have a bin why not add it to the bin?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my question, do I bring the bin ph,kh,gh up to the same of the tank, then put that water into the tank or add water to the tank undosef then dose up the tank?

·
Registered
207 Posts
When I used the seachem products I would just mix everything in a bucket of dechlorinated tap water and then add to the tank while the python was filling it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so when using a buffer to increase the tank pH, do you add the buffer to the tank every day, or does the tank stay there once it's increased?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You will only need to add buffer during water changes, not every day. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with water then add 1/2 teaspoon of buffer then do a test for PH, KH, GH. If it is still low add another 1/2 teaspoon and test again. Keep going until you get the right parameters.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I haven't had a tanknin 30 years so it's a steep learning curve!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you absolutely feel the need to use a buffer of some kind, save yourself some money and use a dyi mix of baking soda/epsom salt. It is very easy and way cheaper. Do yourself a favor and google it.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
A recipe for this is available in the Cichlid-forum Library. I just use baking soda when acclimating a fish that has been kept in a very high pH.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts