Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just ordered some aquarium salts and will be adding them to the aquarium soon. We have CA/SA cihclids in a 320L aquarium. The cichlids range from juvenile to sub-adult development. I am just wondering if there are any procedures to ensure the process doesn't cause stress on them. I was thinking of adding the salt to the tub of water we have for our next water change and introducing it that way. Would that be suitable? Also, is it ok to add the whole dose at once, or should I stagger the additions over a period of time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
No reason to add salt. Just use a good water treatment like Prime when doing water changes.

I hope all he fish in your sig are not in that little tank? :eek:

....Bill

·
Registered
79 Posts
To answer your question: I would dissolve the salt in the tub first introducing a small amount. Enough for just the tub and not the full 85 gallons.
Your going to receive varied opinions on whether you need to add salt or not.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
What would salt be used for with healthy fish?

I know it can be used for sick fish. Possibly as a diuretic(sp)?

....Bill

·
Registered
226 Posts
age old question salt reduces stress bot i dont know any shrink therapist lol i am a therapist and love to try and figure out gehavior with limated success.. my fish guy of 30 years uses salt puts it in small container i desolve it first prime is very useful but not for what you are trying to acheve, salt water is used to dip larger fish in to help with dease, i have 14 tanks and use it in all...

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Salt is not necessary for fresh water fish and is in fact, detrimental 9even toxic) to some. Salt as a treatment is a different story and has some benefit in some cases.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi All,

I use salt in my aquarium when my cichlids are spawning and rough each other up a bit. I was under the impression it helped heal open wounds. Please note my cichlids just show spawning characteristics, I have not witnessed any fry; I am unsure of the effect the salt would have on eggs/fry if I was breeding fish.

I also use it on my one mbuna tank; however, I am not sure why, just always have. I guess I thought it helped keep the water "harder".

Please feel free to comment if these are valid uses of salt or just "aquarium myths".

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
No need or benefits of using salt if you keep the water clean. It's an old myth.

...Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts