Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a tank complete with all the fish etc a few months ago. I currently have the following in a 240L tank:

1 x True Parrot Cichlid (Hoplarchus Psittacus)
2 x Pearl Eartheater (Geophagus brasiliensis), a breeding pair
5 x Firemouth Cichlid (Thorichthys meeki)
1 x Red Tail Shark (Epalzeorhynchus bicolor)
1 x Bronze Cory Cat (Corydoras aeneus)
3 x Leopard Sailfin Pleco (Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps)

I really love the fish I have at the moment (although unfortunately lost a couple during the move) and would like to add a bit more colour to the tank.

I was thinking of trading in two of the plecos for fish such as the following:

Labidochromis caeruleus
Cyrtocara moorii
Tropheops red cheek
Orange blotch aulonocara
A couple of additional cory cats

From what I have googled so far, it would seem that from a temperament point of view they would get on together (but am open to correction).

Does anyone have any advice on mixing in these African fish with the South American ones?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Personally i wouldnt add anything... If your cichlids are a breeding pair, you risk losing that completely.

With that said, the OB peacock wouldnt likely be killed or kill anything in there.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i would swap the red tail shark and maybe a pleco (if you have a pair already) and add a few cories. they do better in schools of 6 or more. however as for mixing i wouldnt even try. if you like the OB's that much get a 55 gallon on CL and get a group of em. *** had really good luck with them in the past. good quality food can really bring out good colors in males. females r butt ugly tho. GL to ya.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a million for the feedback

I'm trying to get a bit of colour into the tank - that's why I was attracted to the African varities. If I hadn't ended up inheriting the South Americans, I would probably start off with Africans to be honest.

I'll go back to the drawing board and maybe think about trading them in for an African tank, or adding in some Angels or something to get some colour into it. In the meantime, I'll try to get some good food to try to get the colour more into them. Tempting to add an OB peacock as Number6 said.

Great idea about the corys - great fish and a school of them would look brilliant

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mixing Africans with South Americans is not a good idea considering they are from totally different regions with different water requirements.

However, the OB peacock is a hybrid fish meaning that it doesn't come from any specific lake. So this is an option, but there is no telling what the outcome will be.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
How hard is your water? I keep rift lake cichlids, they need to be kept in hard water and would not do well in the same conditions as your fish. Some of them won't tolerate much meat in their diet, either.

Is a second tank or trading in your current stock out of the question?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts