Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so heres the deal. I have a 55gallon African cichlid tank that just went through a spell of algae. Although its stopped, and most of it has gone away, I'd like to throw in a couple small bristlenose plecos I have in my 20gallon fry tank. They are only about 2 inches long tops, and the cichlids are 3-4 inches. There are hiding places in there, however all the hiding places are large enough to let in the cichlids too. What are the chances that they'll get eaten? When I added them to the fry tank, they got nipped a couple times from curious cichlids, but they are only about an inch long, so they didn't do any damage. The larger cichlids in the big tank look like they could swallow them whole if they wanted. Any thoughts? I don't want to put them in there just to be a snack.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
For the most part mine are accepted and ignored, but I have had a tank in the past where that wasn't the case. If your cichilds are algae grazers, it could be a problem as they may see them as competition for food and constantly chase them off. What type of cichilds do you have?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry it took so long to reply. In the tank right now are 4 small electric yellows, 2 red zebras (I think) and 3 sp44s. The Red Zebras seem to be the only aggressive ones in the tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
I'd add a bristlenose pleco and also 1 lab, 3 female red zebras and 2 female haps. This decreases aggression in your tank by adding fish and females. It also ensures the BN you add will not be the sole newcomer.

I'd also add a group of 5-6 Synodontis multipunctatus for fry control.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I just noticed today that one of the electric yellows is holding. This is totally new for me, and she's a young one, so I expect her to swallow them the first time like alot of people say. I was thinking of pulling her out of the tank in a week or two (since I dont know how long shes been holding) and take the chance that she wont swallow them. If they survive, that should increase the numbers in the tank a bit. I was contemplating getting rid of the red zebras since they are so aggressive, and letting the electric yellows go at it like bunnies. I could either sell or give away the fry for them, or get the Synodontis to keep the numbers under control. Kind of a "may the best survive" type of thing. I do also have 5 more SP44 fry in a 10gallon, with it appears 2 males and 3 females, and I could add those into the tank too. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
You don't want to save fry with both the Metriaclima estherae (red zebra) and yellow labs in the tank because they crossbreed. That triggered my suggestion of adding the synodontis.

I'd let her spit this brood and remove the red zebra. Then once he is gone if she holds you know the fry are pure.

I'd go ahead and add the 3 female haps and trade in the two males, maybe on a couple more labs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure what kind of cichlids I have at this time, but as long as I change up the caves and decore they leave my two plecos alone. I can tell when they become bored with their enviroment they start to nip the plecos and oscar. Once a week I gotta give them a new scene to explore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'll do that. Ill leave her in the big aquarium now to spit these ones out. If any survive, great, if not, not a big deal. I'll have to post up the Red Zebras on Kijiji to see if anyone would buy em off of me.
Arranging the decor around may be a bit of an issue for the plecos. I just finished making a DIY concrete background in another 55gallon for them all to move into. Its a stacked rock look with plenty of holes for the fish to hide in. It should give the plecos tons of places to hide, so long as they're smart enough to stay hidden! lol I'd say all if fair in love and war, but I hate to see a defenseless fish tormented and slowly picked at till it dies from stress. Horrible way to go. I guess all I can do is try them in the new tank once its done leeching out the chemicals from the concrete and the PH stabilizes, and cycling it too of course.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts