Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to get some advice on stocking and filtration for a new aquarium rack system I have in the works.
Right know I have a 50 gal, 48x24x10, lake tang tank with 12 multies, 4 juli. marelini, 6 syno petricola, and 2 bristlenose. Running 2 sun sun 302's
Under I have a 10gal asian theme, with 1 betta, 6 white cloud, and 3 panda garra. Running a aquaclear 20.
Under that I have a 20 long, central american, pair of convicts and 5 buenos aires. running a aquaclear 50.

My new plan is to get some diversity and set some new tanks up.
I plan to run to 40 breeders on a bottom shelf then a 75 gal on top of those.
I want to move the CA tank to that. 2 convicts and up the school of buenos aires to say 6. Plan to move one bristlenose aswell. I was wanting to add a pair of fire mouths or HRP to this tank. Running a sun sun 302 and aquaclear 50
The second 40 breeder I wanted to do lake malawi and get a group of p. saulosi maybe 10-12. Move the 4 large syno cats out of the 50 low boy tank. Running same filtration as the other 302 and 50
For the 75 I want to do south american, Stocking with 1 or 2 pair of angelfish, a pair of GBR, around 12-15 cardinal tetra, 6-8 cories, a few otos, and the final bristle nose. Then either running 2 sun sun 303s or 1 303 and 1 aquaclear 70.

This will get alot of the prediators out of my shellie tank as i keep losing fry and i believe its the catfish. Once the last two smaller petricola put on size I will move them to the malawi tank. I want to add some calvus to the 50 as well.
Then i would move the asian tank to the 20 long, and use the 10 gal as hospital/fry grow out tank.

Any advice on these setup. I believe everything would work out fine only problem I could see is two breeding pairs of cichlids in the 40 CA. I plan to sell fry from the multies, saulosi, and angels to just help get more fish food and media stuff like that, rather than trying to profit off of them.

·
Administrator
41,517 Posts
Not sure I follow everything...where are the fry grow-out tanks? And where are the large Synodontis going?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
Not sure I follow everything...where are the fry grow-out tanks? And where are the large Synodontis going?
Basically a recap
50 gal tang multies, julies, syno, bristlenose
20 long ca convict tetra
10 gal asian betta minnow.

Plan
Remove the larger of the syno and bristlenose from the 50gal
move everything from the 20 long to a 40 breeder and add another pair of smaller ca cichlid
other 40 breeder will be saulosi with the larger synos from the 50gal
75 SA tank and add the bristlenose from the 50 gal to it.
move everyting from the 10gal asian to the empty 20 long.
This will leave me an empty 10 gallon.

·
Administrator
41,517 Posts
One empty 10G is not going to allow you to raise fry for food $$. And I would not put larger synodontis in a 40 breeder...a trio of lucipinnis would be the max for a 40 breeder.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
One empty 10G is not going to allow you to raise fry for food $$. And I would not put larger synodontis in a 40 breeder...a trio of lucipinnis would be the max for a 40 breeder.
Where I'm at the variety of fish from local fish stores is scarce. I know a guy here selling neo multies for $15-20 each at 1" size and everyone jumps on it them everytime he has a new batch. Which is why I'd like to order some higher quality strains of certain fish. I've never seen saulosi at any shop around here and even petricola are hard to come by and they usually go for $30+ and buy food money I ment fish food not food for the family. ahha. I know I wouldn't be making that, that would be saved for my reef tank if anything. But other than that how does the stocking on the planned tank/filtration look? It's been a while since I've done multiple freshwater tanks. Been rocking saltwater for almost 4 years now and just set my shell dweller tank up 6months or so ago.

·
Administrator
41,517 Posts
I did not figure out all your filters...you want 8X to 10X GPH for the African tanks.

Saulosi works in a 40 breeder.

The Tangs work.

IDK CA and SA and Asian stocking.

Note although a lot of Synodontis (lucipinnis and others) are sold as Petricola in the US I have maybe once in 10 years found them sold here despite many guarantees of true petricola. Likely you have lucipinnis which go for $10 around here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.