Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a great deal on a good looking male Green Sev. I have a female that is a little larger than the male that has been living in a 55g tank for about a year and a half or 2 years. She is around palm-sized and he is probably 75-80% her size. It's enough to notice, but he's not dwarfed by her or anything.
She has a very calm, quiet dominance over the tank and is never aggressive or abusive. The male Sev is in a 30'ish gal tank at the LFS with several other tropical types. I think there were grouami, tetras or rasboras, a betta and a few others. None showed signs of abuse and I never saw the male go after any of them.

I'm going to keep the two together in the 55g for around a year. There is plenty of cruising room for both fish, physically, for another year or so if the growth rate stays the same. My female is already long past her fast, inch-per-month growth phase, and I assume the male is given his size. My upgrade to a 120g+ will come after I find out where I'll be in the next 2 years. I'm commissioning in the AF and haven't gotten my job assignment or location yet.

anyway...In know the 55g is taboo for a mulit-sev tank, but this will be a male/female tank with relatively small, docile fish and will be for about a year or so. My main question is, what is the best way to get him in? Should I put a tank divider in the tank first and then watch them? Can you guys that have added a sev to a tank with another sev fill me in on your experiences?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would have a divider in place for a couple of weeks, let them get to know each other that way first.

Kim

·
Registered
447 Posts
they will fit fine in there, i have two severums about the same size in a 55g but the opposite situation. my male is about 6.5" while my female is around 5.5". just be ready for them to spawn ;) i would agree with cichlidaholic and atleast have a divider on hand in case they dont care or each other.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.