Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll see how long it lasts but I added 6 rasboras to my pearly ocellatus tank a few days ago.

It hasn't been long but so far they seem to be getting along. The sub dom male that previously got ejected from the tank has been reintroduced. I removed all the fry to a grow out tank and re-arranged the shells a bit. He seems to be able to blend in with the rasboras and enjoys some swimming time w/o being hunted down.

Yesterday my harem started spawning again. I'll see in a week or so how it is going as the fry start emerging.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I removed the fry while my rasboras were still in quarantine. I had the fry in a breeder net in the same QT tank and the rasboras didn't seem interested, at least through a net.

So we'll see if the rasboras eat the fry. I'll update this in a week or so once some fry have hatched again.

And yes my shellies attack me every time I put my hand in the tank. They also attack the algae scraper :lol:

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Erm are not most rasboras a soft water acid loving fish?
And Pearly occies a hard water alkali loving fish.
Not a mix I would have gone for.

All the best James

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
24Tropheus said:
Erm are not most rasboras a soft water acid loving fish?
I think tetras are, but maybe not so much rasboras. People have had sucess with multi's and rasboras...sounds cool to me. Don't know how friendly the occies will be though. :lol:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This reminded me... my wife asked me "So are these fish happy in their tank?" I replied "I don't think these fish are ever happy". :lol:

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Most rasboras are a soft water species, but certain captive bred fish are pretty resilient. Some like the harlequin rasbora still do poorly in hard water though.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All fish in my area live in hard water. If they can survive at the LFS they will survive in my tank.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
They likely weren't bred in your water. The majority of rasboras are imported from Indo farms or from Florida. They'll survive, but likely not as long as they would in proper conditions.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll let you know what kills them first, my constantly spawning occies or the water. :popcorn:

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
dotbomb said:
I'll let you know what kills them first, my constantly spawning occies or the water. :popcorn:
Love to hear about well cared for well loved fish. :wink:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I kept Harlequins for years in my community tanks (I'm in Orange County, too) and they were fine.

If you want to get on a pedestal about "well-cared-for and well-loved" fish, you'd have a huge issue with how their food is produced (from fish, mind you) and you'd provide at least a square meter (likely more) for every single male in every one of your tanks so he can have his territory without the boundaries of a glass cage. ****, you wouldn't keep fish at all for risk that they'd die and thus prove your "care" and "love" ineffective.

Give me a break, guys.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
I kept Harlequins for years in my community tanks (I'm in Orange County, too) and they were fine.
I just noticed that the ones I kept in softer water seemed to do better, breed and have viable eggs, while in hard water they weren't as successful. That being said my water was very, very hard back then.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update is... everything is fine and my shellies have resumed their insane spawn rate :thumb:

Other than that the previous occie that I had to remove because he was being bullied (well ok he was eating fry too...) is able to swim about pretty freely mixing in with the 6 rasbora.

As far as I can tell the rasbora don't mind my poisonous water :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.