Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought some API carbon not too long ago. I used it yesterday for the first time. I was surprised how small it was, too small for my mesh bags. And really dusty. Does anyone have a recommended brand that is bigger chunks and a good bang for the buck?

TIA

Rob

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
Rob, you could always use the existing small carbon in a scrap piece of women's nylon stocking and knot it so it doesn't escape.

I don't use carbon in any of my tanks so can't help with larger size pieces.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Deeda said:
Rob, you could always use the existing small carbon in a scrap piece of women's nylon stocking and knot it so it doesn't escape.

I don't use carbon in any of my tanks so can't help with larger size pieces.
Just curious why no carbon in your tanks? First time for me, I don't make a habit of it. Tank was a little yellowish even with weekly water changes so I though I'd try the carbon. I'll check tonight if it was effective or not.

Also, how far are you from Big Rich and Ohio Fish Rescue?

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
Rob, no particular reason I don't use carbon besides the minimal expense. I find that my tanks are clear enough for my viewing pleasure. I did purchase bulk activated carbon from a OCA club member a few years ago and tried some in one of my tanks and didn't notice any difference so I sold the remaining 1.5 lbs at club auctions. However if one should ever use medications in a tank, it would come in handy to remove any remaining meds.

I'm about 15 minutes away from Big Rich and attended a local club visit there a couple months ago before he started the upgrade on his pool conversion to fish pond. Nice guy and doing the best he can for the fish he keeps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts