Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local fish store suggested I start using an Actinic T5 light in addition to the existing lights I have. He states it "simulates" the deeper under-water light for the Haps and Mbunas I'm keeping. Anyone have any input or expertise on this? Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
under_control said:
The lights are for you. The Actinic will do nothing TO the fish. It will makes blues pop, but will skew other colors. He's just trying to sell you something.
I hear you. I actually brought home a 48 inch strip and noticed exactly what you are saying. All the reds and yellows look horrible. The Powerglo tubes I have do just fine. I have a good relationship with this guy so taking the T5 back will not be an issue. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
211 Posts
We have several tanks on display. There is a huge visual difference between our tanks with standard flourescent (we run Powerglos) and tanks with dual T5 fixtures. Having a dual T5 fixture with an actinic and a full spectrum bulb (10k) will give an outstanding visual appearance with balanced color. It's not necessary to have special lighting for cichlids, but it's definately a nice addition.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jake at River City said:
We have several tanks on display. There is a huge visual difference between our tanks with standard flourescent (we run Powerglos) and tanks with dual T5 fixtures. Having a dual T5 fixture with an actinic and a full spectrum bulb (10k) will give an outstanding visual appearance with balanced color. It's not necessary to have special lighting for cichlids, but it's definately a nice addition.
Thanks Jake. I have found these lights are pretty powerful even with the low wattage. I am exchanging the 48 strip for a 24' which will be fine. Thanks for you reply!

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts