Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mostly view my tank in the evening and at night. i work graveyard and i would like to know if this is possible? when bright lights are on my plecos hide and i never see them out and about with regular lights that i use for growing plants and viewing my cichlids. would a actinic light be dim enough for them to come out.

my other concern is this maybe to bright for my cichlids to 'sleep'? when i come home i often see them resting on the bottom not moving. (thought they died the first few times) timers are a posibility but my wife likes the ambient lighting of the tank. currently i use a blue incan bulb but the coating has faded after about a week

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a gutted 18in t8 fixture i could use. also what about a SYLVANIA 13-Watt Black Compact Fluorescent? my diy hood is alread wired for cfl bulbs

Edit: my other option is to build a small led bulb, maybe 3 or 4'leds

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
LED's can work, and possibly the other options. If you've got the stuff and ability to build something, I'd go ahead and tinker and see what works. Keep in mind many fish live at depths where only blue light gets through, so that's a perfectly normal 'day' for them. I think you're going to have to go fairly dim.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Look at purchasing a moon light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.