Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently aquired a large acrylic tank that has 2 crack in the back of the overflow box due to the former owner resting a heater against it. I have purchased a sheet of acrylic and cut a patch to fit over the damages area, but I have a few questions prior to starting. First off, im going to use an adhesive call Surehold Plastic Surgery. I have heard a lot about Wel-don, but have not been able to find any locally. Plastic surgery has good reviews, and Im curious if anyone has had any experience with it. Secondly, surface prep - should i be lightly sanding to improve adhesion, or just leave as is, and clean thouroghly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You won't find Weldon locally unless you have a plastics shop near you. I've not used the product you mention, but would feel better using the weldon. I know it works, I've used it. Once it bonds, you'll never get the pieces apart. You'll need the stuff in the tube (weldon 16), not the watery stuff, and you can find it many places online like Tapps. My local plastics shop carries 'Craftix' brand, same thing.

As far as surface prep, no need if using the weldon. I just use isopropyl alcohol to clean surfaces first. I'd follow instructions if using the other. If the acrylic needs some roughing up first so it'll grab, then that'd turn me off using it.

Another option is simply to test it using scrap pieces.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tested the plastic surgery and is did really well. Even so, I went ahead and ordered the Weld-on 16 and the application tips from TAP plastics. They are nearby, so hopefully it will get here soon. *** seen so much about it that it seemed the best way to go was to be patient and get the right materials to do it right. Im going to be posting some pics of the damage shortly, as I would welcome any guidance on how best to affect this repair. I picked the whole set up for $300 including tank that measures 72x24Wx20H, hardwood stand, canopy and lighting. Its going in the living room, so I want to make sure the repair is done right.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Im going to be posting some pics of the damage shortly, as I would welcome any guidance on how best to affect this repair.
I was going to ask if you could do that, as I was curious to see the damage and exactly where it was. Some repairs can be tricky. I think you did right to make sure you get something that you know will work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are a few pics of the area im attempting to repair. If you guys would like to see anything else in particular on this, just let me know and Ill get in on. I put water in the filter (basically the whole rear of the tank) and its totally isolated from the rest of the tank. Im all new to this, as I have never even seen one like this. The back where the damage is wont even have all that much pressure on it, as all the pressure from the tank will be on the inside wall. Im planning to put a 1/8 inch thick piece of acrylic over the entire damage area, on the inside. Once that is dry, I plan to put the tank on its front, and put Weld-on into each of the two cracks so that gravity can suck it into the cracks. Let me know what you think of that plan, and anything I need to be aware of. Thanks for all the replys *** already gotten.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
The back where the damage is wont even have all that much pressure on it, as all the pressure from the tank will be on the inside wall.
Agreed, that's a good thing.

Im planning to put a 1/8 inch thick piece of acrylic over the entire damage area, on the inside.
Agreed, I was thinking inside was best too.

Once that is dry, I plan to put the tank on its front, and put Weld-on into each of the two cracks so that gravity can suck it into the cracks.
I wouldn't do that. This stuff is thick and won't go down into the cracks. I've done similar when sealing tanks by adding acrylic shavings to the watery weldon, so that when it dissolves it leaves some acrylic behind, but there is no reason for you to go through that with this repair. And what I made up had a much thinner consistency than the weldon 16. Instead, if you really want to, slap another piece on the outside. But, I really don't think you'll need it.

Spread the weldon 16 over the piece quickly and get it down because it does start to skin over pretty fast. Weigh it down lightly, you don't want to squeeze out all the glue. I believe this stuff works similarly to the watery stuff in that it dissolves the surfaces a bit and then bonds when it dries. It's just loaded with acrylic which gives it the consistency it has. It's designed for joining two pieces that have edges that are rough, or repairs such as what you're doing.

Because of where the cracks are, this looks like a fairly easy repair that shouldn't cause you any problems down the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.