Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I found a "curbside special" acrylic tank today and was about to set it up when I realized the whole thing is made from 1/4" acrylic. Measurements are 36"L X 15"W X 16"H approximately 35-37 Gallons. All the seams look great and the top is braced pretty well I think. Front corners are seamless/rounded. Do you guys and gals think this will be alright to fill with water? I was just thinking that 1/4" thick acrylic might be too thin for a tank this size, since the GARF calculator calls for 3/8" thickness for those dimensions. I just don't know.. Maybe it was a reptile tank or something similar, although there was an undergravel filter with it leading me to believe it was used for fish. I can't find any markings for brand on it. If anyone has any experience with something like this I would greatly appreciate your input/opinions. I'll try to attach some pictures of the tank.

IMG_20180610_200951.jpg

IMG_20180610_201005.jpg

View attachment 1

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
RE: Curbside Special: I assume the tank was used previously? If that's true then check for any separation in the seams. But personally I wouldn't worry about the 1/4" thickness, if you're concerned then fill it and keep it outside for a while. I love and only use acrylic tanks. Currently have a 180gal and my 450gal setup is due to ship to me next week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ken31cayman said:
RE: Curbside Special: I assume the tank was used previously? If that's true then check for any separation in the seams. But personally I wouldn't worry about the 1/4" thickness, if you're concerned then fill it and keep it outside for a while. I love and only use acrylic tanks. Currently have a 180gal and my 450gal setup is due to ship to me next week.
I picked it out of a trash pile on someone's curb. It had an undergravel filter inside, so I'm pretty sure it was used previously. After some googling, I have come to the conclusion that this tank is a "Clear for Life" 40 gallon. They're actually pretty pricey new.. Score!! (if it holds water) The seams appear to be solid, no bubbles, separation etc. It's pretty dusty and dirty and it does have some scratches. Some of them pretty ugly but I think some Novus polish and a buffer wheel will clean most of them up. I'm going to hose it off/out, dry it and fill it up out on the porch later this evening to test for leaks. Will report back if anyone is interested. Thanks for your help ken31cayman!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice. My 180gal is a Clear for Life, my 450gal is a Psunami. For the scratches fill the tank and have a look; very small scratches will be invisible when the tank is full. That way you can note which scratches need to be buffed away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ken31cayman said:
Nice. My 180gal is a Clear for Life, my 450gal is a Psunami. For the scratches fill the tank and have a look; very small scratches will be invisible when the tank is full. That way you can note which scratches need to be buffed away.
Well, I cleaned that tank up and filled it, let it set for a couple of days with no leaks. Drained and put it on my kitchen counter and filled it back up. There are a few heavy scratches on the outside and some medium to fine ones on the inside. I think I'll just get some Novus 2 and 1 and a buffing wheel and hit the outside a bit and call it good. I have a 55g that these fish are going in soon, so this one will be a grow out tank. Here's a link to a short video of the tank, showing some of the scratches. I had just finished a 50% WC right before taking the video, one of my Demasoni can be seen flashing near the end they sometimes do that right after a WC but stop after about an hour. Probably the pH difference in the new water.

All in all, I still think it was a good find for something on the curb. I'm enjoying it. Feels really good to be back in the hobby again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts