Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to clean the INSIDE and OUTSIDE of an acrylic tank? Any special type of cloth for the outside? How about windex for cleaning solution? How's the mag float acrylic magnets? Are they strong enough for 3/4" acrylic?

There's no review for this in the review section. :(

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Any aquarium cleaning pad that specifically says its for acrylic is fine. There are many out there. For the outside use a soft cotton cloth like an old t-shirt. Don't use terrycloth towels or paper towels on the outside. There are mag floats for acrylic. Like glass make sure it's intended for the thickness of the acrylic.

Don't use Windex or any other cleaning fluids around an aquarium. Just wet the cloth to clean the outside.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Inside I scrape with an old credit card. I avoid the pads because they pick up sand and can scratch the acrylic if you're not careful. I've also had the acrylic mag floats scratch tanks as well. The outside I clean with a microfiber towel and brillianize acrylic cleaner. Stuff works great

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
swk said:
Inside I scrape with an old credit card. I avoid the pads because they pick up sand and can scratch the acrylic if you're not careful. I've also had the acrylic mag floats scratch tanks as well. The outside I clean with a microfiber towel and brillianize acrylic cleaner. Stuff works great
are you saying the mag float scratch tank because it pick up sand? or it just scratch by itself?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
prov356 said:
Mag floats for acrylic won't scratch unless you pick up sand.
Tim - that's good to know. As I am going to pick one up. Gonna be real careful with the sand. My glass 125 had scratches from the sand so it's not just acrylic.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
prov356 said:
Don't use Windex or any other cleaning fluids around an aquarium. Just wet the cloth to clean the outside.
Tim - I have been using Windex on glass tanks for a long time and like the results. Just need have the tank covered up good. Do you think Windex will have some adverse effect on the acrylic?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I don't know what Windex would do to acrylic, but I don't recommend using it or any other household cleaners around aquariums.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The only way I would use Windex on an aquarium, it so spray it on the rag or towel you were going to use to clean the glass with before and away from the aquarium, and then clean the glass, this way no over spary will fall into the water. If you have to use windex this is the only way it should be done IMO

·
Registered
128 Posts
Windex can fog acrylic. Or at least it used to with older plexi tanks. I've had minute grains of sand get stuck in my mag float and leave tiny scratches. They're neither large, or extremely noticable, but they are still there. Just be careful, and you should be ok

1 - 10 of 10 Posts